LegacyGT.com

My G-fu failed me..(and it's 5th-dan level fu!)

I will preface this with the disclaimer that this is both a gripe/rant followed by a serious question...:spin: TL;DR at bottom:lol:

I have a 2010 LGT premium. I hate the factory radio with a passion that is only equal to my disdain for spiders. The thing is downright stupid. It has the USB Media Hub add-on which pisses me off to no end with its inability to just remember where you left off on a USB stick of MP3's. Too much ridiculous bass output (I've never had to turn bass DOWN in a car). I came from a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0t which for a same model year car has an OEM base radio that is somehow light years ahead of Subaru's offering as everything worked as you would expect it to, including MP3 and hands-free BT.

I've Googled the hell out of OEM swaps and am ready to kill myself at the sheer amount of options Subaru put in the car over its 2010-2014 life. However, I hate the way most of the aftermarket options look and want to explore the few options available on moving to a different OEM. Also, yes aftermarket sound quality superior blah blah...I don't care. I mostly use the car to commute and listen to 90% talk radio.

A) Has anyone swapped in the 2012 "premium" CE model to a 2010 "premium"?

B) Can anyone verify that the 2012 model CE617U1 radio (which according to SvxDC has built-in USB) will remember where you left off if you are playing MP3's via USB when the car is shut off? If I can ditch "Media Hub", awesome.

C) Does the CE617U1 have built-in Bluetooth/hands-free calling? (I could not verify this anywhere) This post from SVXdc mentions having a mic-in on the aux harness and mentioned some other BT stuff on his ae64 site...

TL;DR, I hate Subaru's bastard system because MP3 and want to try an oem upgrade before going to aftermarket (because cheap bastard)...

Thanks for your time guys.

/rant

What's the model number on the bottom right of your stock HU? (Mine is PE645U1)

Do you have Harmon Kardon?

I would also like to do a stock "upgrade" but I have found in other posts that the '10 HK wiring is different even from other years' HK. If you're willing to invest your time and headaches to rewire stuff and make it work it might still be an option I guess.

There was a thread at one time with aftermarket head units. Have you searched for it? It sounds like you want way more than oem will give you even newer oem, but good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've parsed through that thread (or at least one similar) as best as possible. Its where I formed my "anti-aftermarket" stance. Really I'd be content to just have the usb remember where it left off. The other BT stuff is just because I saw it mentioned and is a possible bonus.

What's the model number on the bottom right of your stock HU? (Mine is PE645U1)

Do you have Harmon Kardon?

I would also like to do a stock "upgrade" but I have found in other posts that the '10 HK wiring is different even from other years' HK. If you're willing to invest your time and headaches to rewire stuff and make it work it might still be an option I guess.

I've got the standard issue "premium" spec PE645u1 as well. Not looking for the HK because of that very reason. If I were a younger, more enterprising man, I'd be up for the challenge. I am neither...:lol: It looks like the CE617u1 has the same wiring as listed here, but I was hoping someone had done it and could confirm.

I have the CE617U1 radio in 2012. I don't use a USB for music so I can't answer that question, but it does the hand free for BT calling/music.

At least one of the connectors is different. I sure they could be rewired. The bigger issues I see is the additional wiring. The mic is in the overhead console. The USB/aux connections are in the center console. The steering wheel controls are different for your model.

Archived