LegacyGT.com

Would you trust a salvaged engine?

2005 GT 5MT

How many here would be comfortable buying a salvaged engine assembly from a parts yard like LKQ? They usually offer some kind of warranty (still a lot of work to find a problem even if they would replace it), would you be confident not knowing what put that vehicle in salvage yard? What would it take to give you confidence in going this route (as an average Joe, not a shop or high level mechanic who performs motor swaps regularly)?

Who has a success or horror story or steps to hedge against having to return such an engine under warranty?

I would recommend doing a leak down test on the engine. On the subaru engines a leak down will be much easier to do once the engine is out. That will give you a idea how healthy the engine is. You could pull the oil pan and see what it looks like inside. If its sludge in there I would walk away. If clean you could go as far as to pull a rod cap off and look at the bearing condition. Any rough scoring or discoloration would be again a reason to walk away. Check with the junk yard as well and find out there policy about returns. Most offer some kind of warranty.

Good to know. In my case, testing would necessitate buying and receiving shipped motor first (freight cost + return if necessary).

How is a boxer leakdown done? Rotate engine 90?

I do have a mileage reported and photos of the wrecked donor cars.

You can put the pistons at mid cylinder and the valves will be closed.

You can read more about it, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cams-eternally-broken-lgt-oil-cannon-256514p3.html look around post 91, for the talk of crank neutral.

I don't have time now to find it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think we are skewed towards horror stories on this site. It's easy to blow the turbo and run the engine with too little oil. Both will destroy the engine and cause it to need to be rebuilt. A salvaged engine could "run" but still be in need of a rebuild.

Once you factor in cost of labor for the swap, etc etc. However, a new engine is around $6k (less if you do the work yourself), so if you are willing to take the risk on it is up to you. I personally wouldn't (and didn't). These engines aren't robust.

However, those that have done it successfully, probably never post here. They bought one, it works, no issues.

Archived