LegacyGT.com

Crazy turbo whine?

I recently put my car back together after being apart for a couple months. Had to have my up pipe rewelded and some other house cleaning items. Anyway all went back together fine.

Only thing new was grimmspeed gaskets vs the oem subaru ones. Car runs fine but when going into higher boost whistles like crazy? Anybody ever have anything like that happen with grimmspeed gaskets?

I've checked my inlet to make sure its fully seated and appears ok. Double checked all my exhaust connections and snugged everything but no change. Only other thing I can think of is when my up pipe was welded maybe there is a pinhole that is whistling under boost pressure?

Do a boost leak test.

Plug the hose off the air filter box with a paint can. take the small hose off the blow off valve give it a short blast of air from a compressor then put your thumb over the hose, listen for leaks. After a few seconds when you remove your thumb, air should rush out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have a boost leak tester I made from a pvc cap that I installed a valve stem in. Used it many times on my dsm's. That was the next thing I was going to try over the weekend was pull off my intake and put the cap in my inlet and pressurize the system. I've triple checked all my intercooler piping and inlet and nothing jumping out at me. Very odd issue.

Found biggest issue. Loose t bolt clamp on intercooler pipe coming off turbo. Did find however after spraying down all the pipes and turbo that the compressor housing is leaking where blouch modifies the mitsubishi housings to fit the garrett cartridges. Small hole right at the weld.

Archived