LegacyGT.com

Trunk Access with Dead Battery

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium. 124,000 miles

I went to unlock my car today with the key remote and there was no response. I unlocked it with the key in the door, and the lights didn't turn on. I then went to manually unlock my trunk with the key, but it wouldn't do anything. I then went to check the trunk override button in the glove box, and pressed the button. I then tried to manually unlock the truck again with the key, but still no response.

Is the trunk truly not accessible if the car battery is dead, or is there another way in there?

What are the odds of the battery holding another charge if it's totally dead? Or should I replace the battery? I bought it used in 7/2013 with 68,000 miles on it.

The key location is a little bit hidden

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/leg10keytrunk1.JPG

I grabbed this from cars101.com

Thanks, I know the location, but turning the key to the right had no effect and I couldn't turn it left. Key was in all the way too.

Your key should open the trunk.

Replace the battery.

I'll let everyone know what happens tonight once I get back to it. I'm going to try to jump the current battery and then will replace later.

Are you sure you are not trying to open it with the valet (grey) key? Because that one won't work, only the black remote keys will work for the trunk.

I just went out to my car, with the car locked, and opened the trunk with my key no problem.

Are you sure you are not trying to open it with the valet (grey) key? Because that one won't work, only the black remote keys will work for the trunk.

I just went out to my car, with the car locked, and opened the trunk with my key no problem.

Definitely not the grey valet key. I tried both the one I use regularly, and the other key I don't use regularly. Right now, I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how my battery just up and died without warning. I drove it yesterday without any issue.

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium. 124,000 miles

I went to unlock my car today with the key remote and there was no response. I unlocked it with the key in the door, and the lights didn't turn on. I then went to manually unlock my trunk with the key, but it wouldn't do anything. I then went to check the trunk override button in the glove box, and pressed the button. I then tried to manually unlock the truck again with the key, but still no response.

Is the trunk truly not accessible if the car battery is dead, or is there another way in there?

What are the odds of the battery holding another charge if it's totally dead? Or should I replace the battery? I bought it used in 7/2013 with 68,000 miles on it.

put it in a charger and then use the keyfob to open trunk.

I keep this in my car at all times

https://smile.amazon.com/Rockford-RCPPPJS2976DLX-Portable-Power-Source/dp/B00TP11HTS/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1480453579&sr=1-2&keywords=rockford+battery+jump+starter

youtube south main auto repair Rockford jump starter for a video on this thing. It works and I used it to jumpstart my dead Acura battery a few times

Sounds like there's really two problems here. The immediate problem of the dead battery, and the less immediate problem of the key not opening the trunk. Both should obviously be possible.

put it in a charger and then use the keyfob to open trunk.

I keep this in my car at all times

https://smile.amazon.com/Rockford-RCPPPJS2976DLX-Portable-Power-Source/dp/B00TP11HTS/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1480453579&sr=1-2&keywords=rockford+battery+jump+starter

youtube south main auto repair Rockford jump starter for a video on this thing. It works and I used it to jumpstart my dead Acura battery a few times

I'm curious, where in your car do you keep this?

Sounds like there's really two problems here. The immediate problem of the dead battery, and the less immediate problem of the key not opening the trunk. Both should obviously be possible.

I'm curious, where in your car do you keep this?

in the glove box in it's case

I wonder if at some point the trunk lid was replaced and the lock that was keyed to the car was never swapped over to the new trunk. Any accidents on the Carfax?

Replaced the battery and she's up and running. I also know what I did to kill the battery - left the map lights on (what a dummy).

Anyways, the trunk still won't open with the key. I didn't request a CarFax when I purchased it over three years ago. I live in CO now (purchased in MA), and I highly doubt the Subaru dealer I purchased it from would supply that now and I'm being too cheap to fork over the $40 for right now (I just had a lot of unexpected expenses come up the past few days). I bet you're on to something though. I could have sworn the salesman opened up the trunk with the key when I asked where the keyhole was.

Maybe in a few weeks, I'll do buy the CarFax. If there is anything to report, I'll wake this thread back up.

Could just be that the lock cylinder is dry/stiff from lack of use. Did you try to get some lubricant in the key hole?

^^ this and also try to get some lube in the back side of the lock mechanism itself near where the key goes in.

Replaced the battery and she's up and running. I also know what I did to kill the battery - left the map lights on (what a dummy).

Anyways, the trunk still won't open with the key. I didn't request a CarFax when I purchased it over three years ago. I live in CO now (purchased in MA), and I highly doubt the Subaru dealer I purchased it from would supply that now and I'm being too cheap to fork over the $40 for right now (I just had a lot of unexpected expenses come up the past few days). I bet you're on to something though. I could have sworn the salesman opened up the trunk with the key when I asked where the keyhole was.

Maybe in a few weeks, I'll do buy the CarFax. If there is anything to report, I'll wake this thread back up.

calling your insurance agent is free and they will be able to tell you of any claims against the car... and it is free.

Could fold the rear seats down to get access to the emergency trunk release pull

In order to unlatch the rear seats from the top of the trunk, you need access to the trunk so you can pull the seat release handles. So I'm not sure that'll work.

Hey now, at least the axelbacks are the only parts I have that need to go on [emoji12]

:eek::lol::lol::lol:

BURN! Yeah seriously it only took me like 30 min to install them, and then an hour to decide I didn't like them. Another hour to sell them, and then 30 min or so to take them up to the fedex store to box them and send them out...lol!

Archived