LegacyGT.com

07 LGT Turbo whine?

Can you get those studs out and use bolts ? Trust me its much easier to line up the intake, oil return and up pipe at the same time. I damaged my intake the first time I put the vf52 on.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4782.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Says 8, but it's fatter than the other manifold heatshield bolts. Nothing else I could swap it for though, didn't take off the IC. Must be that. Hmmm.

Thinking it through (TL;DR)

DP - bolted to turbo, wrong size bolt anyway. Cat section bolted to exhaust with the spring bolts/nuts. 1 bolt on the exhaust hanger near the cat. 1 bolt holding O2 plug bracket.

UP - 5 nuts to turbo, 2 nuts/bolts to manifold.

Mani - 3 nuts to engine, 2 nuts/bolts to pipe to other mani.

Front heatshield - 4 screws

Mani heat shield - missing 1, but this bolt seems a bit too big.

Time to climb back under.

Stock DP? Really looks like the bolt that bolts directly to the tranny:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/keita1/DSC02084copy.jpg

(photo from google, they did a darn good job with it).

There aren't too many bolts that size in the area that you took off. It looks to be one of the shorter M10s. I was initially thinking it was the DP support bracket, but if its a stock DP, it's probably the other one that bolts to the tranny.

Lots of luck,

Chase

Engineering

Stock DP? Really looks like the bolt that bolts directly to the tranny:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/keita1/DSC02084copy.jpg

(photo from google, they did a darn good job with it).

There aren't too many bolts that size in the area that you took off. It looks to be one of the shorter M10s. I was initially thinking it was the DP support bracket, but if its a stock DP, it's probably the other one that bolts to the tranny.

Lots of luck,

Chase

Engineering

Damn you are good! I was looking at all the DP/UP installs on the forum. It's the DP to tranny bolt. :)

I knew someone would know.

Beer coming your way!

P.S. screw that J Hook!

I dont know if I should be proud or ashamed of getting it right with just a picture of a bolt in a hand as a clue...

I may have been underneath these cars one too many times ;)

Chase

Bolt-Whisperer

Definitive be proud of that!

Added video with sound. Can hear at the 13 and 22 second mark. I did add some tranny fluid as it was close to the cold mark after driving. Thinking tranny or diff, diff fluid no issues.

Ok, that was my other guess. Only makes noise under load, when i starting getting towards 2700 RPM.

Edit: Took out for a drive, pushed a bit. Metalic howling around 4000 RPM. Possibly still turbo or could that be a not so well sealed gasket?

Edit: manifold bolt not tightened all the way. Can say the turbo is still good lol. Thinking alternator or tranny whine. How can I diagnose the alternator?

Well awesome, it's the alternator bearing. Thanks for the help in diagnosing and getting me under the car to pull the pipes and check the turbo.

Recommendation on an alternator? Stock or is there another recommendation?

Edit: Looking at wrecking yards, only found one 2005 Legacy 2.5i. Even WRX is hard to find.

local auto parts store. Support those who keep the money in your local town. I like to buy those parts local, in case there's an issue, the help is right there in town.

If you ask around there may even be a shop that can rebuild the alternator.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived