LegacyGT.com

Considering Outback vs Legacy

I am leaning towards Leg GT/Ltd, but must consider few positive points about Outback GT/Ltd. Yes I give up big brakes, or do aftermarket at first brake job. Yes I give up quick steering ratio. Not sure if thats good or bad. Yes I get a higher cg and a bit more weight than Leg GT/Ltd. With Outback GT/Ltd... I can put 235/45/18 tires on 18/8 wheels. Will increase braking and cornering ability. Will compensate some for higher cg. I can get a trailer hitch for bike rack, not a fan of roof bike rack. I can put a bigger rear sway bar on when available. I get rear seat arm rest and rear power outlet, incl w/Leg GT/Ltd. Does higher clearance on OB GT also mean stiffer springs than Leg GT? Like Leg roof rails and tail pipes, which I think are different on OB. Wish Suby offered more OB colors in monotone. Wish Suby did not create these dumb tradeoffs between Leg/OB. If both cars were the same except road clearance, it would be better. Thrilled Suby has provided two great choices that stomp on Audi/Volvo/VW and BMW 325ix wagon. Both cars have more than enough torque band. I love a car that handles great and corners great, but I am not sure how much I give up w/OB by the time I put bigger, better wheels/tires and future swaybar upgrade. Any advice or comments from new model Outback owners?

I just put 245/45 - 18 S-03 on 7.5" wide rims on my XT . I doubt they would have fit on the GT without hitting the wheel wells . You will need stiff sway bar that I understnad are on the way. I got the XT because I have a trailer hitch and XTs were in stock and no GT to be seen . I am glad I got the XT over the GT. Charlie

Well, as you demonstrated, there can be quite a bit of overlap between the two models depending on your needs. Basically, it boils down to which is more imporant to you: Handling or ground clearance? Ken

I guess I was hoping for some experience related to how much handling diff there is by the time you put some 235/45/18s on the OB/XT. I understand that swaybar is not here yet, but I put upgraded suspension on my last BMW 328 and know what a diff that made. Yes I live with OBs smaller stock brakes, but great 18 wheel/tire combo could look great on OB and I get goodies and options not blessed on GT.

Guest *Jedimaster*
For me, I just wanted to ride up higher- my lowriding days are over. I like the ground clearance and comfortable ride. The brakes are decent, but might get replaced by larger units when the stockers wear out. The tires need upgrading and the rear sway will also help. I also prefer the look of the OB- the larger foglights and the fender flares did it for me. I do wish the OB came with the Legacy roof rails, but down the road when guys inevtitably remove them for looks, I'll pick up a set on the cheap and swap em. The tilpipes do look bad compared to the Legacy ones- I'm getting chrome tips, thanks to the advice of another forum member, until an aftermarket exhaust hits the web. Oh, and there's nothing like the sleeper factor. People accelerate to find out what the car is, then see Outback and assume it's a Crocodile Dundee people hauler- until I show them it hauls ass :)

Hi This is what I looked at making tire choices : Revs/Mile Section Width Tread Width RE-92A 225/55R17 Revs/Mile 775 Section Width 9.0 Tread Width 7.0 S-03 245/45R18 Revs/Mile 780 Section Width 9.8 Tread Width 9.1 RE-92 215/45R17 Legacy GT Revs/mile 847 Section Width 8.6 Tread width 7.1 I like the extra 2 inches of tread width if only I can keep the it on the ground. Sway bars pleaee. Charlie

Chucktoo and Jedimaster both mentioned the need for beefed up sway bar to help OB/XT handling. Remember gtguy, he commented that the bar attachment points were a critical design improvement from past models and would require special attention for swaybar design & attacmfent. Will swaybars developed for new Leg/GT work for OB/XT? I may wrongly assume that sport tune market will focus on Leg/GT. Is OB/XT built with stiffer springs than Leg/GT?

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'll say that the OB springs are likely much softer- that's the way they ride anyway. Also, the Legacy platform should allow parts to be used across the line, except for minor cosmetic differences between Leggy and OB.

Here is my correspondance with Perrin Hello, Thanks for asking. We have several items being worked on for the 2.5 GT and XT. Look for more updates to our website soon! Thanks again. PERRIN SALES DEPT. On Thursday, July 29, 2004, at 04:06 AM, Charlie Barker wrote: Hi Are your working on any suspensions parts for a 2005 2.5 XT Outback – the first thing it really needs are sway bars ? My tires are now 245/45/ -18 S-03 s and they show how much work every thing else needs . Thanks Charlie [url]http://www.perrinperformance.com/[/url]

Archived