LegacyGT.com

Jaybird's 05 LGT ABP Thread

Jaybird2013

Nice pickup, love me some Prodrive.

Header wrap looks nicely done, too. Did you use anything to cure it? How do they sound/feel on the car?

Thanks brother! I'd much rather change plugs,coils, and injectors all day before wrapping another set of headers!!!

According to DEI's website, the titanium wrap doesn't require curing. Very little smoking during the burnishing phase. Then you are good to go.

The Sound is so much better with the Prodrives on. Normal driving around town in my experience so far is more of a mellow deeper tone.

I haven't really cracked the throttle or gotten on the Highway yet, so I will reserve further judgement for now. Car feels and sounds great!

the rollers are calling! ;)

Make sure you have a Under tray or skid plate. DEI titanium does not like weather or road debris and will deteriorate in the winter. I had My UP/down and header wrapped in it. It literally browns and falls apart. :(

I still have the under tray on. I agree with you, wrapped my mid-pipe in hopes to deaden some of the sound a while back, and that DEI ended up like you described.

• 5 months later...

It's been a while since I last posted, and quite a few things have changed. After finishing up on the dyno in April. I was kicking myself for not committing to converting over to Top feed fueling.

I had that little voice in the back of my head saying "what if" what if one of those modified DW side feed injectors decided to give up the ghost. :eek: So.....

I went ahead and ordered IAG fuel rails, sourced a set of Top feed TGV's that I sent out to Bustedfinger Motorsports to be deleted, ordered a SMY Top Feed Braided -6 Fuel Line & Fittings Kit V2 for -6AN FPR, Fuelab 515 Series Fuel Pressure Regulator, and Cobb/ID 1050X Top feed Fuel injectors.

Scheduled the install and Dyno at ACI Dynamix, in Seymour, CT.

Mikey Botti working his keyboard magic for the second time on my car.

The car put down 380/379 on ACI's mustang Dyno after 9pm on a cool night, but Mikey noticed something was off with the AFR's on our road test after the rollers.

It was hard to pinpoint with the SD tune, but after a visual inspection of the engine bay the next day, I found that a vacuum line wasn't reattached to one of the spigots on the inlet during the Top feed conversion. There was the problem.

About a week later Mikey was back in town and able to retune my car, which he did for free, because of the shop's mess up (a honest mistake, great shop btw ,bunch of super guys over there).

I thought that was huge and it really solidified in me knowing that I had not only switched over to a Great Tuner, but an honest and fair man as well. Spoke volumes to me!

Hot and muggy midday dyno session resulted in a few less degrees of timing, which resulted in making less 350/335. she made what she made, and I'm pleased with the results for now.

Wanted to shift my attention to replacing 12 year old front suspension parts after scoring a set of Spec B LCA's

Decided it was a good time to buy the Whiteline KCA313 Front roll center/Bump steer adjuster kit as well.

436589739_whitelinebox.thumb.jpg.4a86a9502e2fa34529f23e2cf4ef86cb.jpg

Install was a bitch! frozen outer tie-rod on one side, and a ball joint rusted into the knuckle on the other side. Thank God for a buddy that has a lift and impact tools! :lol:

Broke DS pinch bolt and had to drill it out, got lucky with the PS.

knuckle.thumb.jpg.1b802866f327c8b7c97d524f8fc25ecb.jpg

I had been trying for a while to score a Hotchkis FSB to match the rear one that I have, but didn't have any luck, so I grabbed a new Cusco 23mm FSB.

994070350_CuscoFSB.thumb.jpg.9cb783e264337d44d85b8b4873f18116.jpg

finished product:

Alignment.thumb.jpg.7efb98301fa4489b164fc111fa412598.jpg

1908449581_whiteline1.thumb.jpg.60defb561c4a8792a2a32a5e9e2b5d12.jpg

I was very much impressed with the quality of the Cusco FSB, that I ordered up a couple of other bits from them.

Cusco Pitch Stop p/n 6A1-911-PS https://www.darksidemotoring.com/collections/suspension/products/cusco-billet-aluminum-engine-pitching-stop-w-hd-rubber-subaru-ej20-ej25-2-5l-turbo

side by side with the STI Group N

1644289693_cuscopitchstop2.thumb.jpg.1b9a64ea2c589ac7733cdcc9c7326c0c.jpg

Also noticed that my Rear Diff Cradle is leaking from one of the bushings, it's definitely seen better days.

So I found an upgraded replacement..... from you guessed it! :lol: Cusco.

I haven't had a chance to put it on the car yet.

from Cusco with confirmed fitments : p/n 6A1 489 A

926630763_reardiff.thumb.jpg.2e10fee0e9772aff842041af5f6112b3.jpg

link that I purchased it from :https://www.smyperformance.com/cusco-reinforced-differential-carrier.html

1655299751_cuscopitchstop.thumb.jpg.56deed93352902ebfa79c4a988729efe.jpg

Here you are nearly a year later, how are the headlights holding up? I'm trying tobdecide if I should go all out and resand/spray/wet sand/spray/etc. Beautiful car btw, love the way you're upgrading as parts need replacing(with a little splurging in between).

Thanks Man! I feel it's important to have the car handle to the best to it's capabilities as well as be responsive to the power it's putting down.

Drivetrain loss coupled with that initial torque loss is killer!! Don't like being cheated out of those power gains that have been had!!! ;)

I'll gladly sacrificed some comfort and quite anyday.

Truth be told, I went ahead and replaced my PS headlight ( it had a broken tab and water was getting in from a bad seam). I got a great deal on a new OEM replacement that I stumbled upon.

I got a good 6 months of shine out of the RainX resto kit before I noticed they started to slightly fade again. I plan on reapplying in the coming weeks.

Car is looking great man! STiMikey is a great tuner, won't go wrong there.

Got any feedback on the KCA313?

Thanks Ed!!! Hope you are doing well my friend. Gotta ask, any plans moving forward the Spec B?

I highly recommend Mikey Botti!!! Great Tuner!!! I gotten very friendly with him ,and it's such a pleasure to watch him Tune.

from beaters to high end exotics ,and as far as subies go, That man knows subies inside out front and back. He tunes out of the ShopCT in Norwalk and ACI Dynamix in Seymour ... right in my backyard! :D ( FLA, Chicago, and Texas as well)

The front end feels more planted and stable, more connected to the road while cornering. Really a no brainer with the car being lowered.

The OEM LCA's were in rough shape with the bushings torn half way through on one side and close to three quarters on the other.

I still have a little play/travel in the right front suspension. Found out after the install and right before the alignment that the inner tie-rod is going to need replacing. :mad: always something right?

Suspension all the things! A bum tie-rod is the worst for suspension feel, and can turn a perfectly dialed in setup into floaty vagueness. Easy fix tho, with really nice results when they are tight and without play.

Thanks Ed!!! Hope you are doing well my friend. Gotta ask, any plans moving forward the Spec B?

Doing well, actually crazy busy lately, been saving up for a rebuild! I need to talk to you about your engine builder...

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Jaybird, looks like you are still running the FMS fmic is that right? Hows it holding up and have you had any issues with it? I must say it looks super clean for a front mount that retains the factory fogs. I was thinking of going racerx for that reason and also because I have a cobbsf intake and box but I may be willing to give up the cobb intake for the minimal piping clean look of this front mount. I know fms may not have the best rep esp for their legacy top mount but I have read good things about the front mount so how are you liking it??

OP if you had to do it all over again, would you have just gone with a new WRX instead of this? I could see if you had the car since new and was paid off and you wanted to keep it alive for sentimental reasons, or if you had a GT wagon and couldn't replace it because SOA sucks. A new WRX would have made a ton more sense. Warranty. Ridiculous resale value. Same platform for modding.

I ask for the tourists on here looking into an 05-Legacy GT sedan for 7k on CL and thinking it's a good deal because "it runs" rather than thinking "money pit." lol

Car looks good tho! ABP!

Suspension all the things! A bum tie-rod is the worst for suspension feel, and can turn a perfectly dialed in setup into floaty vagueness. Easy fix tho, with really nice results when they are tight and without play.

Doing well, actually crazy busy lately, been saving up for a rebuild! I need to talk to you about your engine builder...

Ed send me a pm, or better yet just shoot me over a text and I'll gladly help with any info that you may need.

I'm still mother F'in that inner tie-rod!!! :mad:

Jaybird, looks like you are still running the FMS fmic is that right? Hows it holding up and have you had any issues with it? I must say it looks super clean for a front mount that retains the factory fogs. I was thinking of going racerx for that reason and also because I have a cobbsf intake and box but I may be willing to give up the cobb intake for the minimal piping clean look of this front mount. I know fms may not have the best rep esp for their legacy top mount but I have read good things about the front mount so how are you liking it??

Yes sir, still running the fms fmic, which is holding up great no issues to report.

Install was cake once you figure out the routing of the piping. I noted a couple of tips on the first page, post #7 that will make life a lot easier.Seriously, the hardest and most time consuming part is trimming the bummer skin.

I really like it , cooler intake temps, I think it's set at a great price (if you do pull the trigger on one talk to Josh over at importimageracing.com That's who I bought mine from), and the discussion came up with my tuner Mikey Botti about the upper efficiency range for this fmic. He believes it can handle up to 500hp before you would need to look into something better.

OP if you had to do it all over again, would you have just gone with a new WRX instead of this? I could see if you had the car since new and was paid off and you wanted to keep it alive for sentimental reasons, or if you had a GT wagon and couldn't replace it because SOA sucks. A new WRX would have made a ton more sense. Warranty. Ridiculous resale value. Same platform for modding.

I ask for the tourists on here looking into an 05-Legacy GT sedan for 7k on CL and thinking it's a good deal because "it runs" rather than thinking "money pit." lol

Car looks good tho! ABP!

You know that's a really good question. Looking back, I wasn't in a position to buy a new car at that time. I hadn't researched turbo Subaru's enough or found this site in time. If I had, I would have listened, and I would have shelled out the couple hundred dollars to have a compression and if needed a leak down test done.

I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIS CAR AFTER THOSE RESULTS!!!

So, I made a choice when faced with a bum engine and getting absolutely nowhere with a shitty 3 party warranty company. Obviously it wasn't the most financially sound decision, and believe me I was ******* livid, but I found a reputable Subie builder and decided to rebuild. It hurt the pockets sure, but I met all other financial responsibilities I have (kids, house, mortgage, etc..) I don't think I would do it again, but I don't regret it !

The knowledge and skills I've gained, not to mention the good people I've met coming through this process has been priceless.

I plan on keeping it for sentimental reasons :lol:, it's paid for (albeit a couple times over) I know the car will never fetch what I have put into it, and if it goes kaboom tomorrow I'll part it out and move along,

But for the tourists I say keep it moving. 7K on Craig's list, you better have another 7k+ for when that engine gives up the ghost. Just too many unknowns when buying one of these old cars that require constant maintenance. Not for the faint of heart or financially challenged. Save up for that new WRX ;)

Archived