LegacyGT.com

Timing belt, head gaskets, turbo

If i were to do the timing belt change myself.. Can someone shoot a link towards the tool that holds the cam/cams in place? Note: ive checked the ones on amazon, go for about 20-40$ but subaru says the tool costs roughly 300$

• 1 year later...

Going to start this up again this time about the headgaskets. Have a tech thats gonna let me help him to see how this is done. Gonna throw him a nice tip

All boils down to the machining of the heads.. one says just go felpro itll be fine, also says the subaru genuine headgaskets are more for a fresh/brand new application . . Questioning this. Although the gaskets havent blown yet im just seeing signs that they are going and lately with how spirited i drive im suprised they havent gone yet. The needle just barely spiked to the red as i had a bad coolant hose to turbo and was low a gallon of coolant. Let it cool and nothing detrimental happened. Though before the overheat scare my overflow boils ALOT after a good drive.. im running AP V3 currently and i monitor the temp very avidly as i dont ever notice any harmful spike in temp, hasnt gone above 208 nor below (just hit today as my op temp seems to be 185 on average) 178F the reservoir is caked in a sticky black sooty substance (pretty sure those are the hydro carbons people keep talking about) which ive been told is caused by exhaust gasses pushing through the headgaskets (on boost only?) into the cooling system correct?.... back to the machining.. does the block need machining also? Ill probably just get the heads done to be safe. All in all i wanna make sure im doing this correctly 💪

The car is also still on warranty, and to my knowledge the AP probably voided that s*** ����*♂️ Maybe uninstall AP and hope they dont check for constant flashes to ecu?? That is if i decide to pay a shop to do the work.. still owe a nice chunk out of pocket

The block/deck should be cleaned well. The heads should be surfaced/decked by a machine shop. make sure both are flat.

If the engine is coming out, which is easier in the long run, install ARP head studs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The block/deck should be cleaned well. The heads should be surfaced/decked by a machine shop. make sure both are flat.

If the engine is coming out, which is easier in the long run, install ARP head studs.

Any gasket kits youd reccomend? If i can get the same genuine suby kit somewhere else other than subaru thatd be neat

• 4 weeks later...

If you use the correct brand parts you won't have to open that timing cover up most likely until the next interval. You want japanese made parts. So far I have had no issues. (I did when using other brands). I only use mitsuboshi belts and Aisin timing kits that contain all idlers, tensioner assy, and water pump. Your also ideally gonna want to reseal the cam, crank, and oil pump with japanese seals while in there.

~shaun

Why would you recommend against replacing common failure items like seals while doing the timing belt maintenance?

~shaun

None of those seals are common failure items. And anybody who's removed an EJ cam sprocket knows it's one of the most difficult tasks in Subaru repair.

Lol im reading new things every day *♂️ I ended up just going to subaru and getting the gasket kit from there. All this talk of oem and i just decided w/e. Now that head gasket kit is just sitting at home, im waiting to buy the arp’s till i have the funds. ALSO going to be buying a clutch kit from either ACT or Exedy (stage 2 i suppose). Im mindful of replacing the fw too.. (quick question, the smfw is what i want correct? Same part for the 06wrx? Can someone send a link please?) for the sake of longevity im replacing these parts while the heads are getting surfaced. (Wanted a p&p but found that those have quite a wait list) the guy i asked about the port and polish made note that i should definitely change my exhaust valves? These problematic?

Ahhhh no input yet ... maybe im failing to include some piece of info? My power goals within the next year and a half will be around 315hp not looking to go crazy yet. This is my daily (sadly) and im aware itll be down for at least 2 days during the head gasket repair, so ill have a plan to get around till its done. So far ive acquired a few things for the job ahead while the car will be down, plus a maintinence part of two... Head gasket kit, invidia 3” downpipe, and a replacement rear bumper ill have repainted and used for a replacement. Next week i will be ordering some new head bolts from felpro for the job as well. (Just deciding to go cheaper and save time) cant think of anything else ill be needing yet.. back to the books

Archived