LegacyGT.com

Best Budget Upgrades to improve car

Looks like you have it figured out then. However, before you spend mod money, make sure that the car is in good working order. i.e. do any preventive maintenance or repairs that need to do done.

What kind of exhaust would sound the best though, I don't want to muffler delete because of the laws in the US. But I do want a nice medium pitch muffler, do you have anything you could recommend?

I would focus on your other thread for recommendations -

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/exhaust-2005-ob-3-0r-257818.html

Sound is extremely subjective, what sounds best to me, might not sound good to you.

Also, there are no laws in the US against muffler deletes, unless you are breaking the decibel limit.

Figure I'd ask this here instead of starting another thread. Can you get any power increase from just an AP or do you need something in the way of intake or exhaust upgrades?

Stage 1 - aka just a tune, should give a slight power increase. A custom tune (e-tune, dyno, whatever) should give you more power than an OTS (off-the-shelf tune). Mostly this is am improvement in drive ability. I.e. the car just responds smoother / better. Any additional power is almost a side effect.

Stage 2 - aka downpipe and tune, is generally seen as the best bang for your buck power mods. Downside is depending where you live might need to go back to the OEM downpipe just for smog.

Stage 2 is a fun place to be. With the VF40 / 46 you get a pretty decent torque hit really early in the RPM range.

Stage 1 is just the gateway to Stage 2. A place to stop briefly and waste money - at least in my experience.

Remember: no intake upgrade without a tune!

OP has a 3.0. not the 2.5XT, I honestly don't know anything about those engines. Do they still need a tune for just an intake (like our turbo's do)?

Archived