LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy 2.5i oil leak HELP

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.51 160,000 Miles. Recently I noticed a collection of oil on the top of the engine on both the passenger and driver side. It was more visibly noticeable on the driver side. I cleaned the engine with some de-greaser and used some oil leak sealant. After about 2-3weeks I noticed the pool of oil was back. It's collecting in the recesses of the engine block on both driver and passenger sides. Im starting to have to check the oil levels in between changes now. I checked all of the obvious oil sensors that I could see and they appear to be clean. I cant imagine how oil could go from the valve cover to the top of the engine the way it is. The spark plug covers are definitely wet with oil but again, how could it be collecting at the top? I'm looking for any information, suggestions, or things I may be missing. I want to prime myself with some knowledge before I attempt to resolve myself or take into the shop. I do have CEL on for an oxgyen sensor misread/failure. It has been on for a few years now and will periodically turn itself off. Car was at the dealership last year to have it checked out and they informed me I needed a new cat. I had them change the spark plugs and the CEL didnt come back on for a few months... Just a little back story for you. Here is an imgur link to some photos. http://imgur.com/a/QTKDq here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9-hsbfOOdY

The P0420 (Cat deficiency) is a non-factor to this issue, but you should replace it. Have you check the Oil Control Valves for each cam gear? Its the part that the wire plugs into right behind the timing cover
I have not checked them other than visually inspecting them for leaking oil. I did pull an spark plug cap last night and it was drenched in oil. No visible leaks along the valve cover and engine. Still cant figure out how oil is getting on TOP of the engine...

Archived