LegacyGT.com

Power steering hose spraying fluid

I just replaced my power steering pump today with a rebuilt one, put everything back together, and after the car ran for a few minutes I started getting fluid spraying out of the banjo bolt hose. Is there anything as far as O-Rings or anything that this needs? I re-installed the weird metal washer that's like two washers connected together. Could that need to be replaced? I can't really figure out what I did wrong, but I want to have some kind of plan of attack before I take the hose back off and make an even bigger mess.

Banjo bolts usually have 2 copper washers. 1 on each side of the pipe.

Sometimes they get stuck on the bolt itself.

They are generically sized, and are used on brake parts as well. You can pick up a new pack of random sizes for a few $$$ at any auto parts store.

I couldn't find the factory washers after I put my motor back in and tried rubber O-rings. They won't hold the pressure, after a few seconds they leaked like a sieve. I ended up going to the local hardware store and buying two copper washers, worked like a charm. Assuming you have another vehicle or someone can run you to a hardware or automotive store just take the banjo bolt with you to size the washers.

I took the banjo fitting back off and replaced the factory "combined" washer and put on two new copper washers, one on each side of the banjo fitting. It STILL drips from between the power steering pump outlet and the banjo fitting. I don't get it. Torqued it to 29lb-ft, which is what I believe the FSM specified. Anyone have any advice? I'm so confused.

I ended up fixing my leak, I think. I went to Advance Auto and picked up some drain plug washers that have a little rubber ring in the center of the washer so they seal against the inside of the bolt. I also made sure that I cleaned all surfaces while I had everything apart. So far so good.

...now my upper hose is leaking slightly, need to figure that out, but at least I'm not spreading fluid all over my engine bay.

Archived