LegacyGT.com

2006 A4 2.0t

Had my wife drive one of these over the weekend. I was totally unimpressed. The one we drove was a $33k car. The engine was torquey but LOUD and sooooo rough. At idle it felt like her VW beetle. The interior was nice and well put together but the driveline felt like a economy car. I can't believe how popular they are!

There do not seem to be too many Audi fans around here. In my opinion the A4 does offer some really nice features.

One touch up and down windows

A nicely thought out key fob

A nice choice of interior and exterior colors

A choice of auto or 6 speed manual transmission in all models

Optional Nav (in all models regardless of transmission)

Optional sports package

Optional Xenon headlights

A great maintenance plan

Good fit and finish (including the paint)

A little more compact than the Legacy (about the same wheel base, but almost a foot shorter overall)

The engine is mod friendly

There are also a lot of aftermarket performance parts

Of course, they also have their issues.

They can be pretty pricey (especially the Avant)

They are really heavy for the overall size

The 2.0T needs to be chipped just to get close to a stock Legacy GT in horsepower

No DSG in the A4

I don’t care for the new front end

It has yet to be determined if Audi reliability has improved

I am shopping for an AWD wagon with a manual transmission and leather so both the A4 and Legacy are on my short list. It is too bad I can’t combine the best features from both to create the perfect sports wagon.

The A4 2.0T is nice (esp. in 6pd. quattro). Rumor is they are a little under rated from AOA and are actually making more like 220hp - maybe to not take away sales from the 3.2 V6 (255hp). Not to mention with a simple chip (APR, MTM) they can make around 260+hp and 270+lbs of torque. I like Audis, but I worry a little about their reliability (esp. electrical crap). I do like the looks, the quality interiors, quality paint jobs (hint hint SOA), and like their motors (esp. the turbos).

Other rumors:

DSG will be in A4's late this year/early next.

3.2 V6 (250hp) DSG Quattro A3 coming by Nov.

S3 coming sometime next year (rumors around 280-300hp).

S6 coming with 450hp (DSG?)

RS6 coming with 500+hp (DSG?)

Well this is the first year for the 2.0T and with the FSI, it may run and feel a little different than a non-FSI four banger. I am sure Audi will continue to refine that engine in the next few years. I remember the first time I drove a boxer engine - I thought it sounded rough as hell, but now I love that boxer "burble" sound and miss it in other cars that have quite engines. :D

Well this is the first year for the 2.0T and with the FSI, it may run and feel a little different than a non-FSI four banger. I am sure Audi will continue to refine that engine in the next few years. I remember the first time I drove a boxer engine - I thought it sounded rough as hell, but now I love that boxer "burble" sound and miss it in other cars that have quite engines. :D

I agree with you on the boxer.

As a current Honda and previous Toyota driver, it was a culture shock for me when I test drove the LGT. I have, however, grown to love the "burble" as well.

Just of note.

My 1.8T in my VW was "rough" and loud at first too.

These engine DRASTICALLY smooth out after a couple thousand

break in miles.

At that point, I often had to look at my tach to see if the car was

running. And after driving other 4 bangers, the VW 1.8T felt butter smooth.

Try driving one with a few thousand miles on it sometime, you'll notice a BIG

difference. It's the reason the car mags rave about the engine so much

as being so smooth and powerful. They get "test mules" with at least

1K break in miles on them.

I am surprised that you don't think the engine is smooth. I don't find that the Legacy GT engine at idle is particularly smooth. It seems kinda lumpy at idle. Pulling when on the gas, however, is a different story. Is that what you are comparing?

I think that Subaru has a LONG way to go wrt fit and finish on the interior of the Legacies. My LGT is not even in the same ballpark as my 6 year old A6 Avant. The Legacy kills the Audi in handling and acceleration, and the Avant interior is to die for.

Archived