LegacyGT.com

Let's Talk About MY2005 5EAT Compatibility.

MTBwrench

I'm in the market for a new 5EAT(yay), a la center diff implosion. What I'm still stuck on is the difference between a 2005 chassis and a 2005.5 chassis... From what I can tell the two use the same trans... but I've found conflicting info about that as well so, zero clarity on the issue.

Really, I just want to see if I need a SPECIFIC 2005.5 trans, or if any 2005 will do. I found a great deal on a trans locally with 63k on it, so I would love to jump at the deal.

If there indeed is a distinguishable difference, how is it identifiable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I'm in the market for a new 5EAT(yay), a la center diff implosion. What I'm still stuck on is the difference between a 2005 chassis and a 2005.5 chassis... From what I can tell the two use the same trans... but I've found conflicting info about that as well so, zero clarity on the issue.

Really, I just want to see if I need a SPECIFIC 2005.5 trans, or if any 2005 will do. I found a great deal on a trans locally with 63k on it, so I would love to jump at the deal.

Try contacting Hexmods aka climberd. He should be able to tell you for sure. As far as I know (but I'm no expert), 05 and 05.5 are the same transmission.

My understanding is that it is just the housing that is different. The older cars have a 2 piece housing to get to the CD, newer ones only have 1.

I know the house/trans gasket is the same between the 2.

Try contacting Hexmods aka climberd. He should be able to tell you for sure. As far as I know (but I'm no expert), 05 and 05.5 are the same transmission.

I sent him a PM... but he's been MIA for a bit, so not sure if I'll get a response any time soon. :(

My understanding is that it is just the housing that is different. The older cars have a 2 piece housing to get to the CD, newer ones only have 1.

I know the house/trans gasket is the same between the 2.

Interesting to hear. I heard there was a sensor change mid production year (which is the reason why COBB had to develop the "2005.5" AP map class), so perhaps I'll give them a call and see what the deal is.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

The 2005.5 app map was because they changed the ROM version half way through 2005. In 2006 they delayed some sensor in the gas tank.

Electrically the 2005-2006 tranny's are the same, mechanically they are only slightly different.

The 2005.5 app map was because they changed the ROM version half way through 2005. In 2006 they delayed some sensor in the gas tank.

Electrically the 2005-2006 tranny's are the same, mechanically they are only slightly different.

This falls in line with the research I've been doing. It seems that the change was ECU code, and any 2005 trans will fit the bill. Adding to this, Subaru only lists one transmission/harness/etc. for the 2005 model year, but it does change for MY2006.

I've found a trans in PA. 42k miles, 6 month warranty. It'll be a great candidate for a transGo kit and some diff bushings.

IIRC, they also removed a gas cap sensor and maybe one other sensor. Which required the changes to the ECU..

Archived