LegacyGT.com

EJ253 eating oil after two repairs @ dealership

Hi Guys,

Like my title says, the EJ253 engine I have in my recent buy is eating oil like crazy.

6 months ago a local dealership said they have a good Outback with minor mechanical flaws they can help me fix for 300 euros. It was a buy-back car that still had the old owner on papers.

I bought the car and after one week I noticed coolant smell than saw the radiator upper crack and a head gasket blown. These were not present when I test drove the car which had been sitting for quite a while in the dealership parking.

Dealership said will help me by reducing cost of labour and I had to buy the parts. Since it wasn't bought from them (on papers), they could not be taken accountant for the issue.

So I bought complete engine gasket kit, new piston rings, new intake valves, new timing belt and pump, radiator, clutch kit & fork, engine mounts and a whole other bunch of parts like suspension bla bla taking the cost up to 4k.

It took well over 3 months to get the parts and work done to the car. I took it and at my first inspection after a week I noticed oil around the exhaust manifold.

Took it back to the dealership, waited another 1.5 months to get the engine fixed. They said it was the fault of a shop that worked on the heads and they've asked for new valve guides and seals that had been changed previously.

At the end they've asked me to pay for parts and services which I refused and only paid for the valve guides.

Now, two weeks later and 400km after the re-rebuild I had to top the engine with 200ml of oil. No evident leak outside the engine.

And the question after the long story: WTF do I do now? New engine costs a lot and I'd hate to get one after changing so many things in this one (this one has 150.000 km). Old engine could very well take me through the same issues not long after the swap.

Shoot myself? Maybe... I've sold a 2001 WRX wagon with 200.000 km on the clock original everything and has seen good track days and still runs. Big mistake selling it. But I needed a family car to take my daughter to kinder-garden which the WRX with Blitz exhaust and a lot of other mods couldn't do anymore.

I thought the Outback/Legacy platform is the best thing Subaru offers. I needed this car for summer trips which I had to take in a city car and now winter holidays are coming and need the car to be working properly.

Appreciate your advise.

So it seems you're burning a quart approx. every 800 miles. What kind of oil are you running?

As of right now, it really doesn't matter how much money you have into it if it was all for not. If they did a total rebuild, then they need to take care of it. If it was the machine shop that put the engine together, then they need to deal with it.

• 4 weeks later...

@apexi: I've owned a WRX before so I'm used to checking oil level every week. Nevertheless, dealership confirmed the oil level was low and engine was burning oil.

So I've changed the PCV and appropriate rubber hose which was hard as wood. The old valve was not completely seized, but almost. It doesn't rattle if I shake it a little, but I can hear something moving in a liquid if I shake it really hard.

Not sorry for the 30 bucks I've paid and a 30 min DIY job of mounting it. For sure it must have been good changing it, even though I don't feel anything different.

Thanks for the advice!

Right off the start, I could not tell if there is any difference either with cold or warm engine.

I'll take the car out for a longer drive this week and come back with feedback about the oil level.

BTW, this 08-09 EDM model that I have is the only model in the world that has a hose bypassing the PCV. It goes from the heads right under the PCV and to the intake manifold. Probably this is to avoid rise in pressure if the PCV is blocked and the reason why I had to change the intake valves is now obvious... oil vapors going directly in the intake due to PCV not working well.

So, to whom shall I start sending the beers first?

I took the car out for a long drive. About 600km mixed highway and backroads. It barely moved the level. Probably 50-100ml of oil (if any) lower than before.

To me it is almost too good to be true. So I will still continue to monitor the oil level, but million thanks to you guys and this community. Where do I donate?

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/donation-station-42.html

there,

or PM one of the MOD's.

Glad you got it fixed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...

I have to come back with a question. All good and smooth for ~2000 miles. No noticeable oil loss on the dip stick.

After another few hundred miles I checked the oil cold and it was below the minimum level.

I know the stick can be misleading sometimes and took the car out for a short drive, just to get the engine up to normal operating temperature.

Waited for exactly 5 minutes to allow the oil to flow back into the pan, took the stick out and waited another minute for oil to come up then checked the oil. It is half way between L and F.

No evident leak or anything. This is the first change of Amsoil SS 5w30 and I was anyway planning to change it this week.

Could the sudden decrease in level be due to oil contamination etc.? Last hundred miles were alot done in stop&go traffic, idling for hours due to cold weather, icy rain, bad traffic, going to funerals and lots of shitty stuff.

Or should I just get used to filling the 2.5i with oil more than I used to do in my 2.0 WRX with many more miles?

• I Donated Too
I'd actually would prefer the 5W40 oil over 5W30.

I'd have to agree with this. NA motor or not the synthetic oils can be like water. If it were my car, at this point I would prefer the 40 weight oil.

Thanks! I'll use this one since I bought it and change it to a 5w40 or 0w40 grade in 3 months before the hot summer.

The only W40 I have available for the moment from Amsoil is the Classic European Formula which I understand Max Capacity is also using. Might give it a try.

The 5w30 was very good for the cold morning starts. -7C (20F).

Archived