LegacyGT.com

2017 Subaru Legacy Battery Options

Hi All,

I just bought a 2017 2.5i and I am loving it. I love car audio and I will be replacing out the stock starlink system with an upgraded headunit, upgraded speakers and subwoofer down the line. Now the question is I will be changing out the battery along with the electronics upgrades. I have researched and found out that the 2016 legacies and 2017 legacies are essentially the same battery wise, so I was looking at an Optima red top battery group 25. Does anyone know if it will fit correctly or will I have to make any adjustments to make room for the battery? Or is there another battery that can help withstand the additional upgrades I will be putting in that fits perfectly?

Thank you:confused:

Well the reason I am swapping out the battery is to be proactive rather than reactive. I used to own a ford mustang and I had upgraded audio equipment and my battery died faster than usual and I know that with Optima batteries they tend to be better with car accessories such as upgraded audio, but I do not plan to play the stereo a lot of with the engine off, so do you think I should be ok with just the stock battery?

Thanks

Yes, use the stock battery until it dies! Put your $$ into something else until then. The battery is JUST for starting the car (Unless you sit for lengthy periods of time with lights and stereo both on without the engine running.) There's no reason it shouldn't go for a lot of years just fine.

The Optima batteries are awesome. I just bought one last month for my 2010 Prius. Now, understand the 12V. battery in a Prius is tiny. Like a big motorcycle battery. But, it was still working fine when I pulled it out last month. I changed it ONLY because it was 7 years old, and the Prius was being parked in the garage of my second home, and it wouldn't be driven for weeks at a time, so I went ahead and changed it.

No way I would spend the $$ to replace a brand-new battery.

If you have serious audio upgrades but don't upgrade your alternator the battery will pay the price when the car is idling or at low RPM. Spend the money on an alternator upgrade, your battery will thank you. Or at least on an overdrive pulley for the alternator.

When the original battery croaks install what you like.

If you have serious audio upgrades but don't upgrade your alternator the battery will pay the price when the car is idling or at low RPM. Spend the money on an alternator upgrade, your battery will thank you. Or at least on an overdrive pulley for the alternator.

When the original battery croaks install what you like.

The alternator pulley is clutched, in case that affects anything.

If you want to be sure - have a second battery for the audio system then you don't have to worry.

An automatic separation relay that separates it from the main battery when the engine isn't running would make it appear seamless.

453747.png

There's battery mounting equipment available for mounting a battery where ever one should decide to. With these kit's and the correct size cable for the distance covered there would be no problems. Race cars have been doing it for decades. I've seen some high end audio systems do it too, sometimes more than one.

http://www.jegs.com/c/Batteries-Accessories_Battery-Boxes-and-Mounting-Kits/165202/10002/-1

I will quote an old statement "Penny wise Pound foolish"

Why you may ask? If you are going to sit in your vehicle on accessory and listen to your Stereo you will be not a happy camper.😆

Laughter is the key to happiness

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

It doesn't sound like you are making your legacy into a rolling DJ party bus, if you are simply upgrading your stereo stick with the stock battery.

If you are planning on a rolling sound system, maybe invest in an outback so you have more space to work with and to put in the extra batteries, and maybe a vitamix also, for the crushed iced refreshments.

• 1 month later...

A good reason for swapping out the crappy sock battery is if it was ever deeply discharged. If that happens even once the battery will never be the same again.

Speaking of which it happened to me in the summer. Now with the cold weather it's having a real hard time starting. If anyone has put in an Optima battery I'd like to know which size and how well it fit.

A good reason for swapping out the crappy sock battery is if it was ever deeply discharged. If that happens even once the battery will never be the same again.

Speaking of which it happened to me in the summer. Now with the cold weather it's having a real hard time starting. If anyone has put in an Optima battery I'd like to know which size and how well it fit.

You should go with Odyssey Battery, Full Dry Cell 10 year Battery Life and More Power than Optima..[emoji111]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I just installed the Optima Yellow-Top in my one month old 2017 Outback. I went 34/78 size and it's great, about doubling the cold cranking amps as I recall, plus adding deep cycle capability. The 34/78 was a little shorter in height, but the plastic top on an Optima is designed to snap onto the bottom of the battery to raise it up, then it fit great. A standard 34 would work equally well, but Autozone had the 34/78 in stock. Also, the stock insulator (cardboard piece) was able to slide over the Optima so I was able to retain that. Battery was about $220 @ Autozone and I sold the stock battery on Craigslist for $50, rather than take the $18 core refund.

• 2 weeks later...
I just installed the Optima Yellow-Top in my one month old 2017 Outback. I went 34/78 size and it's great, about doubling the cold cranking amps as I recall, plus adding deep cycle capability. The 34/78 was a little shorter in height, but the plastic top on an Optima is designed to snap onto the bottom of the battery to raise it up, then it fit great. A standard 34 would work equally well, but Autozone had the 34/78 in stock. Also, the stock insulator (cardboard piece) was able to slide over the Optima so I was able to retain that. Battery was about $220 @ Autozone and I sold the stock battery on Craigslist for $50, rather than take the $18 core refund.

I picked up a 34/78 battery and it fit, just like you said. The positive terminal needed a little massaging but otherwise no issues.

The car starts WAY better now. Completely different sound. I want to find another 3.6R to do a comparison. Either my old battery was in extremely bad shape or it's possible the stock battery is badly undersized.

Either way, with all the electronics, power-assist, and lighting in modern cars ALL batteries nowadays should be deep cycle. Starter-only batteries are a joke.

OptimaSC34U.thumb.jpg.02aa73785676367041dad9cc728803c7.jpg

Was checking a couple of things on my car's entertainment system a couple of days ago, the car had been sitting around 12 hours. Noticed the battery was down to 11.7v, not what I'd expect out of a battery that's not a year old yet. Will likely be looking into a replacement soon.

• 5 months later...

Just replaced mine with an Optima YellowTop D35. Exact same size as the group 25 RedTop. Could have gone bigger tray size wise but I wanted to purchase locally for ease of return/replacement should the need arise, and most of the larger ones are too wide for the tray.

http://i.imgur.com/ZjLB2sf.jpg

Archived