LegacyGT.com

3.6R lots of smoke and I'm sure it's not a head gasket

When the temperatures started to dip, I noticed that my 2010 3.6R Legacy started to produce more smoke than other cars out of the tailpipe, significantly more.

Even today morning, the temperature is 63 degrees F and I still see smoke out of the tailpipes every minute with intervals.

I understand that it is normal for cars to produce smoke or water vapor.... basic principles of chemistry.... but mine produces significantly more than others?

Has anyone had this problem before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post up a little video. It's probably just moisture in the exhaust system. My 2008 Highlander used to do this a lot too, even at the end of my 30 mile, 1 hour commute as I was waiting in traffic to pull into the office.

I'll post a video up soon. Yeah the engine is warmed up and it still smokes. Is there a drain in the exhaust system on these models? Maybe corrosion has clogged it or something?

Think about these concepts....

1) jet contrails - a jet engine compresses air and the exhaust leaves the engine in a vapor trail

2) wing vortexes - an F1 car's rear wing sometimes has vapor vortexes coming off the rear wing at the endplates. The wing compresses the air to create downforce.

When air has a certain moisture content and the air temperature is at or near the "dew point" (which is when moisture content falls out of the air because of 100% humidity) a small amount of compression put to that air can create the visible water vapor, or clouds. This is what is happening inside your exhaust when the exhaust gas flow is restricted, or slowed down inside the exhaust (specifically at a catalyst or muffler with a flow restriction), the pressure is increased and the water vapor is compressed and made visible. Even in the ignition process, dense, water rich air is taken in by the motor, compressed in the cylinder, and pushed out the exhaust. It does not just magically disappear because of the ignition's explosion on firing, if it goes in the intake, it goes out the exhaust. But we don't think of it as going out the exhaust, because we usually don't see it because usually the temperature of the exhaust is hot enough that the water content is not sufficient that the vapor becomes visible. That changes with high humidity and low ambient temperatures.

Think about these concepts....

1) jet contrails - a jet engine compresses air and the exhaust leaves the engine in a vapor trail

2) wing vortexes - an F1 car's rear wing sometimes has vapor vortexes coming off the rear wing at the endplates. The wing compresses the air to create downforce.

When air has a certain moisture content and the air temperature is at or near the "dew point" (which is when moisture content falls out of the air because of 100% humidity) a small amount of compression put to that air can create the visible water vapor, or clouds. This is what is happening inside your exhaust when the exhaust gas flow is restricted, or slowed down inside the exhaust (specifically at a catalyst or muffler with a flow restriction), the pressure is increased and the water vapor is compressed and made visible. Even in the ignition process, dense, water rich air is taken in by the motor, compressed in the cylinder, and pushed out the exhaust. It does not just magically disappear because of the ignition's explosion on firing, if it goes in the intake, it goes out the exhaust. But we don't think of it as going out the exhaust, because we usually don't see it because usually the temperature of the exhaust is hot enough that the water content is not sufficient that the vapor becomes visible. That changes with high humidity and low ambient temperatures.

Thanks for the more scientific explanation [emoji106]

Coolant levels are fine and I do check all my fluids every week or so. I'm just not sure of the fact that other cars do not create water vapor out of the exhaust in the same environment. I'm stopped at a stop light and nobody has smoke coming from their exhaust except me? Maybe it's just the design of the exhaust/catalytic converter system in my car.

I have noticed that sometimes the car, stutters when I'm sitting at idle for no reason(no AC on). The engine shakes for a millisecond and the revs jump back up maybe 200 RPMS. After that I see lots of smoke from the tailpipe, and then it dies off the smaller amounts. Just an observation I noticed. My 3.6R has 141k miles on it, apparently the dealership said they changed the spark plugs at 120k when I bought the car last year but I'm cannot truly believe them. But plugs probably wouldn't cause this issue.

Archived