LegacyGT.com

Oil return line question

Hello,

So with some decent weather, I pulled the turbo to try and see where all the fluid was going, and I replaced the oil return hose incase it was cut or something.

So, I guess this question has a few parts.

The first is the FSM shows the wire clamp(805922080) as the top clamp, so I'm guessing the lower clamp is the bigger squeeze clamp(805922090), but the parts listings show it's the wire clamp as the top clamp. I would rather do the squeeze clamp on the lower part, and the easy ring clamp as the top clamp. Or can I just use the ring clamps on both the top and the bottom?

The second question, is that I'm almost thinking of making something like a funnel to guide the tube into the hose. Has anyone tired this?

Thanks!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

You can use what clamp you want that is easiest to squeeze to install or remove it. There is zero pressure in that line.

Just flow.

If you bolt the turbo to the up pipe its very easy to slip the tube inside the hose. Those studs are IMO a BIG PITA.

double nut them to remove them.

If wanted you could even reuse them as bolts after you set the turbo on the up pipe. PB Blaster will help them come out.

When I had the dp off the wagon the other week, those bottom studs on the turbo backed out with the nuts. I just left them alone and put anti seize on the stud threads and screwed them back in on the install.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Fast Funnel makes these coated cardboard/paper funnels, so using the old hose I cut a funnel it seemed to help a bit, but it would be just about impossible to remove, so that idea went down the drain.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Archived