LegacyGT.com

P2021 code and lesson learned

Hi All,

.... I learned something.

Car: OBXT 05, mostly stock (mostly...).

Owner: Wrenching for a de-stress activity, and also because I have an engineering degree and I don't use it, so I crave the engineering in my life. Also, I'm not an idiot. (hint: I'm far worse than a regular idiot).

Problem History: After a little fun in a twisty road this summer, got codes P2004 and P2016. To get the part number I removed the driver side TGV sensor... and started the car as well -- hence, I got code P2021. As expected.

Wrenching: Bought the sensor and motor, and proceeded to change them. On the passenger side, the F*CKING engineers put the sensor behind the turbo... yes, I had to get the turbo loose to reach the sensor. That in turn was a problem, because that stupid screw under the down-pipe got stuck, so I had to find a way to cut that MoFo... (Pardon my French... but the situation justifies it). One day and 2 tools later, bolt is off of the car to never return. After sensor and motor on bank one were changed, reset the ECU from the Accessport... and... Code P2021 REMAINS.

Lesson Learned: Researched here and found this beautiful thing:

For future reference to anyone who might find this post in a search, on the drivers side you have to start with the TGV sensor 90° CCW from where it needs to be. Push it on with the electrical connector facing up, then rotate it CW so that the connector faces the drivers side of the car, and then install the bolts. I also had to temporarily remove a neighboring bolt that was holding a fuel line clip in place in order to rotate the sensor.

Solution: Followed the instruction above, clear codes, reset ECU, smile, open a beer, curse a little more... she is happy, I'm happy.

Also, If you ever get to unscrew your turbo and its attachments, use copper-based anti-seize paste. The regular anti-seize I used 3 years ago was turning into a rubbery stuff that was leaning towards seizing the screws in place.

Happy wrenching everyone!

Did I give you these yet ?

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Dear Max... that is fantastic! Obviously I did not have these - would have saved me MANY pounds of aspirin for the headaches :spin: . THANK YOU!

Now, since you have these... where can I find a shop manual for this car? That little book that would have taught me to place the Bank 2 TGV sensor at 90° the first time around. Do you know?

Archived