LegacyGT.com

2.5i engine swap

I've got a chance to buy a newly built GTX STi motor, allegedly pushing over 300hp, for a very reasonable price. I'm not exactly sure of the motors year, thinkin its a 2010-2012, but I'm wondering about installing it into my 2004 2.5i. Does this seem feasible, if not practical, or am I opening Pandora's box? I'm not scared of fabrication or modification. I've put 350's in S-10's, a 383 into a Toyota pickup n an RX7 rotory motor n tranny into a Mazda B2200....I've obviously got more ambition than brains. lol BTW, after I got a posi n the right gears the Mazda was a blast. :spin:

2004 2.5i or 2005 like your profile states? There is a difference :).

The biggest issue is gonna be engine management. That new of STI motor will be dual AVCS, which means you have to get a dual AVCS ECU too. But you can't just swap an ECU and expect it to work with your existing wiring harness, so you would need that too or will need to rewire your current one to work (which it might not even have the correct plugs).

Needless to say, it's gonna be a lot of work and good amount of money. With how cheap 2005 Legacy GT's are now days, your better off selling your 2.5i and just getting a GT.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 2 weeks later...
It's a 2004....automatic. The car is in very good condition, inside and out, especially since I live in Maine. Now my son has been asking me what it would take to put a RX7 rotary motor in the Legacy. lol Think he's heard too many stories about how fun my lil B2200 was with a rotary motor. Anyway, I assumed I'd need a new computer and wiring harness. I guess I'm mostly wondering about motor mounts and the existing tranny matching up. Will it, basically, bolt right in or will I have to get/fabricate adapters?

Physically installing the engine will be the easy part. No idea if the 4-speed auto will fit or be compatible, never mind hold up to that power (though I hear they're solid). You'll need an ECU, and likely a full wiring harness.

If you had a complete driveline to go with it, then maybe. Otherwise I'd save a lot of trouble and just buy an LGT or a better shell to throw this motor in (cheap craigslist STi w/blown motor for example).

Archived