LegacyGT.com

Hard downshifts; Time for fluid change? TIPS PLEASE

This is interesting..I get a grinding noise on turns (only after fairly extended driving). Three different Subie Dealerships has said it is NOT CV related, and when they test drive it, the car has already cooled and it is not test driven extensively. Never had my Gear Oil change (70K) running Stage II, Exedy Stage II clutch also. Well overdue huh? How many quarts if Motul required?

Get that gear oil changed ASAP!!!!! Especially since running stage2. Rear diff takes 1 quart, and IIRC, the tranny/front diff takes 4 quarts.

So they said it is not CV related, but did they check your tranny fluid? I think the manual says to at least inspect it every 30k miles and some of us change it every 30k miles. Go get yourself 5 quarts of Motul 300 gear oil ASAP

Did you do the clutch damper delete? If the damper is beginning to fail like it did for SurlyOldManMN, then your wingtips will get ruined when it does completely fail. If the hydraulics are not completely releasing the pressure plate from clutch disc you could have hard shifting. Many things can cause that but most of them are unlikely on your 5th Gen.

Have you flushed and bled your clutch hydraulic fluid to get all fresh fluid in there? You can use any DOT4 brake fluid, I used Castrol.

I did not do the delete and I have not flushed the fluid. Is there a way to verify whether or not the damper is failing? Additionally, what are wingtips? Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I have never heard that term before.

Is there somewhere for me to start checking into? Any low hanging fruit, so to speak? I will likely try a clutch fluid flush soon, since that is easy to do (right?)

Wingtips.

http://hollyheadmag.com/wp-content/uploads/wacko-maria-alfred-sargent-shoes-1.jpg

The damper sits right above your right foot. And pukes fluid when it fails.

Here is Surly's thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/has-anyone-popped-clutch-master-cylinderi-200764.html?t=200764&highlight=pop+clutch+master+cylinder

Chances are the damper is probably fine, it will probably fail catastrophically if its going to fail, not slowly. Don't worry about that right now. Flush the fluid ASAP. You could have some moisture in there that's not allowing you to get full pressure to move the pressure plate enough.

Read this if you haven't already.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clutch-damper-valve-delete-223235.html?t=223235&highlight=clutch+damper+delete

HAHAH I know what THOSE wingtips are! I thought you were referring to some part of the car that I was unaware of lol :rolleyes:

I've skimmed through the damper delete thread, but haven't convinced myself that I need to do it yet. I'm guessing that you are suggesting to do the delete at the same time as a bleed, if I was planning on doing the delete, to save time and fluid?

I've noticed many of the things described in that thread that are apparently due to the damper, but I have just kind of learned to drive with them. If I am going to bleed the system, however, I will likely do the mod as well.

Archived