LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT Leaking Gas tank :(

Well i thought maybe it was something to do with the all too common filler neck rusting. But after jacking up my car and looking underneath the tank seems to be leaking from someone not near the filler. Ive heard dropping the tank on these is a B&%#H. Anyone done this or have a link to a write up? Probably going to pull the tank and replace it this winter as i cant put more than about 9.5 gallons in her right now. :spin:

Just got to drain the gas out completely and unbolt it from the underside. Best thing I've used is a transmission jack while on a lift while unbolting the tank. Also just for safety precaution, make sure to purge the tank so the fumes inside the tank aren't dangerous. Used to work on the internal fuel system of the F-15 and purging tanks of the fumes ensures complete safety.

Just got to drain the gas out completely and unbolt it from the underside. Best thing I've used is a transmission jack while on a lift while unbolting the tank. Also just for safety precaution, make sure to purge the tank so the fumes inside the tank aren't dangerous. Used to work on the internal fuel system of the F-15 and purging tanks of the fumes ensures complete safety.

Not that I ever plan to do (seems something better left to someone with experience given the potential danger) this but for curiosity sake how does one purge the tank?

Not that I ever plan to do (seems something better left to someone with experience given the potential danger) this but for curiosity sake how does one purge the tank?

Last time I've purged an gas tank was with a Civic Si 2000 Em1. Used an air hose and just shoved hair in it which forced the fumes out. Takes a little bit, but it ensures you don't have any dangerous fumes coming out.

P.S. Please don't shove hair in it.....gonna leave that error!

My tank was leaking from the top of the tank pump assembly, from cracks in the hard plastic. Near the big rubber seal - replacing that gasket didn't help. I didn't see the cracks till after that. I don't think I even spotted the cracks till it was out of the car.

3/4 tank or more would leak a bit of smell into the cabin on turns, and a bit on the ground if I filled it to the top. I could see the top of the pump was wet with gas sometimes too.

I replaced it with a used assembly ($100 on ebay) and upgraded to a DW65c pump while I was in there.

Maybe not your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Judging from the manual write up, removal is a major exercise. Driveshaft and suspension needs to come off first. Not for the faint of heart................

Yeah, Luckily i will be putting it away for the winter months here soon being i have a lifted 97 LGT i drive in the winter.

My tank was leaking from the top of the tank pump assembly, from cracks in the hard plastic. Near the big rubber seal - replacing that gasket didn't help. I didn't see the cracks till after that. I don't think I even spotted the cracks till it was out of the car.

3/4 tank or more would leak a bit of smell into the cabin on turns, and a bit on the ground if I filled it to the top. I could see the top of the pump was wet with gas sometimes too.

I replaced it with a used assembly ($100 on ebay) and upgraded to a DW65c pump while I was in there.

Maybe not your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

I will definitely have to take a look. Thanks for mentioning it!

• 5 months later...

Just figured i would update this for anyone looking in the future. It was leaking at the pump assembly. I ordered a new pump assembly and seal as the previous owner tried to RTV (DUH NO WONDER WHY IT LEAKED) the top to get it to stop leaking.

** EDIT **

Sure enough after pulling the old pump assembly out it was cracked around the top lip. New Pump assembly cost me $50 on ebay and worked like a CHARM!

Archived