LegacyGT.com

Just another Saab story...

First off, I don't anticipate finding an answer here, more venting to like minded people. But, here goes...

I acquired a 2003 Saab 9-5 turbo wagon that had been essentially abandoned for over a year. It is a 5 speed manual with the linear 2.3t with just under 115,000 miles. I got it from a friend who gave up on in it when the turbo started leaking oil (she is not car literate and was quoted $2000 to replace it). She had a second car and just parked the Saab.

When I got it, the battery was toast, so replaced that along with new plugs, VCG, BCV, fresh fluids and a very low miles GT-17 turbo. Ended up replacing serpentine belt, filters and a second oil change (inspecting for debris / sludge particles). The car ran perfectly for about a month while I detailed it and replaced a few things.

I ended up finding a vacuum leak in the ABS module. Had it rebuilt and the car sat for the 6 weeks it took for that to get shipped back to me. After reinstalling the ABS module, I have a new issue and the reason for this post:

When driving for 15 - 20 minutes on the freeway, the car will just stop running. No power cut elsewhere, radio and gauges never blink, the car is just suddenly engine braking. I've replaced fuel pump relay, fuel pump, DIC and confirmed good contacts in the ignition... I am at a loss and just want the damn thing to run right again so I can sell it. Anybody heard of a similar scenario?

Also, who wants to buy a 2003 Saab wagon?!?!?

John Hancock

*abridged version*

2003 Saab 9-5 with 2.3t and 5 speed. Stalls after 15 - 20 minutes of steady freeway driving. No electrical cut out anywhere. Replaced fuel pump and relay, DIC and inspected ignition contacts, no problem found. Car runs great on surface streets. I'm stumped.

John Hancock

Does it run great on surface streets for longer than 15-20 minutes?

You may have an issue with the ECU spazing out once the coolant and oil temps are up to normal operating range. I'd say the distributor might be an issue as well but aren't those coil on plug?

Is there a fuel filter? Maybe change that too, although fuel starvation shouldn't be that sudden.

You could also have an issue with a critter chewing on some wiring and shorting something out once the car is warmed up. I have a 1995 Ford Aspire that has some electrical functions that only work intermittently due to the wiring harness being damaged from a flat tire we drove about 6 miles on. Temperature seems to affect the function of the horn for example, as the now bare wires expand or contract to make contact and short stuff out.

It runs great all day on surface streets. I drove it recently for a handful of errands and had zero issues. It's only on highways or freeways where there is no throttle modulation for 15 - 20 minutes. Fuel filter was also changed.

I knew better to jump in to a Saab, but my Dutch blood can't resist the word "free"

John Hancock

Well I suggest taking it to a salvage yard. Maybe you can recoup some of your money.

Otherwise I suggest 40 pounds of Tannerite and a high powered rifle might be in order. Just mix the Tannerite, place in car, retreat to a safe distance and use a high velocity rifle bullet to ignite the Tannerite. It will fix that Scandinavian turd right up.

Archived