LegacyGT.com

2005 EZ30D Subaru Legacy - What can you actually do?

So I've Googled numerous times about my JDM 2005 Subaru Legacy B4 3.0 Sedan - A model which feels like a collectors edition due to the limited number of threads I could find on it. LegacyGT has proven to be the best forum and is top of the Google searches. Despite this, it is very hard to find anything specific to my 3.0 Subaru Legacy (I guess the forum is called Legacy GT for a reason).

I was curious; what can actually be done to the EZ30D? Not the first EZ30, but the second revision from 2004 onwards.

My mechanic buddy (in training) has suggested a straight pipe and pod filter as possible mods. Obviously he suggested I take this up with a mechanic first. The current air intake system, which is encased in a box, drawing in air via a vent on top of the grille seems more sufficient than a pod filter sitting in the engine bay, as it takes in fresh air as the car moves.

TL;DR All this aside, what can be done to get a bit more power out of the Legacy? Would I be right to think an aftermarket catback and ECU tune are probably the most viable options? Complete newbie to this. Nice performance mods while maintaining engine reliability and lifespan is an importance to me. I'm not here to thrash my car, but to give it the power and happy life it deserves :)

I plan on staying on these forums by the way, totally love this website and its mature helpful community.

Thanks!

A decent tune and a AVO panel filter (replaces the stock panel filter) will net you power. Not sure if yours is a MT or AT but if a AT you could swap out valve bodies and do shift parameter tuning (shift points, requested torque etc).

Raptor makes headers for that model you could free up the exhaust too. Outside of that handling mods will be your best bang for buck and maybe relocate the battery to the rear to better balance the car if you want to really get down to it :)

Welcome to the forums!!!

Many things can be done like what happens in my EZ30/36 bbm group. Such things are Raptor headers, full exhaust system, Intake system and most of all tuning.

As a JDM model, the fuel requirements can be high and you may not be having consistent performance due to pinging.

Do some research and see.

Thanks for your help guys. I've decided I'll start with a Catback system, followed by the panel filter. Later on I will do the headers and finally a tune. Is this the right order to be going in? Since the new catback would relieve some back pressure, I would of guessed that installing this first readies the engine for more powerful performance based mods.

Thanks for your help guys. I've decided I'll start with a Catback system, followed by the panel filter. Later on I will do the headers and finally a tune. Is this the right order to be going in? Since the new catback would relieve some back pressure, I would of guessed that installing this first readies the engine for more powerful performance based mods.

The stock catback isn't the problem/wont be until you add boost. I would get the panel filter and tune first and maybe a pair of mufflers.

Tuning is one of the best mods dollar for hp you can do to any vehicle as you unlock power already available just masked by the factory tune.

Once you get to headers you will want to research if you want full catback as things can and will get loud;)

The stock catback isn't the problem/wont be until you add boost. I would get the panel filter and tune first and maybe a pair of mufflers.

Tuning is one of the best mods dollar for hp you can do to any vehicle as you unlock power already available just masked by the factory tune.

Once you get to headers you will want to research if you want full catback as things can and will get loud;)

Been doing more reading. Most likely going to do the panel filter and then a tune. Ed has lived up to his reputation and it seems like XRT is the best route for this.

As far as mufflers go, is this generally a "one size fits all" sort of situation, or is there a specific sort I should look at getting? From what I read here on the forums, the GT exhausts work with the NA systems. I then also saw that some GT exhausts are too large for the NA's. A bit unsure which brands and where I should be looking for good mufflers.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Be wary of US options, most stick stupidly far out on JDM cars with the much shorter bumpers so would need tweaking. What's your style preference? Big cannons, medium cannons, quads?

XForce make some pretty good looking catbacks, and can be had fairly cheaply. Can get quite raspy though.

3rd cat delete is a common mod to do whilst keeping the rest of the mid section stock to reduce drone, along with an axleback from XForce or similar.

What part of NZ are you in? Can get really good results with e85, just not at all common in NZ.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Be wary of US options, most stick stupidly far out on JDM cars with the much shorter bumpers so would need tweaking. What's your style preference? Big cannons, medium cannons, quads?

XForce make some pretty good looking catbacks, and can be had fairly cheaply. Can get quite raspy though.

3rd cat delete is a common mod to do whilst keeping the rest of the mid section stock to reduce drone, along with an axleback from XForce or similar.

What part of NZ are you in? Can get really good results with e85, just not at all common in NZ.

Hey Andy, thanks for your advice. To start with, I'm based in the Waikato, near Hamilton.

I was actually looking at the XForce exhaust systems, they seemed pretty sick. As far as exhaust style goes, I've decided the overall "style" of the car that I was aiming for was a more aggressive, sporty look, but nothing too far from stock. I've blackened the headlight surround and grille, have a black bumper lip and today finished painting the JDM accessory mudguards black. I want an exhaust that has similar tips to the stock, except much more shiny 😂. As far as sound goes, I want something that will show the AUTHENTIC sound of the engine, and whatever I do to it. Attached is my Legacy (ft. a new outback!).

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161024/343e019db965b784bc8ad4e003b61fc3.jpg

Nice, i'm over the hill in Tauranga.

There's some relevant info in there regarding what to keep and what to swap for the 3.0r's to keep them from sounding crap.

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/46994-bl-bp-exhaust-thread/&page=1

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Nice, i'm over the hill in Tauranga.

There's some relevant info in there regarding what to keep and what to swap for the 3.0r's to keep them from sounding crap.

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/46994-bl-bp-exhaust-thread/&page=1

Thanks for the link, great to see an NZ community!

Just from the first page, I think the STI Genomes are pretty nice, if not one of the most nice sounds I've heard. Not to mention they still fit in with my "sporty stock" sort of theme. They even have a modest grunty but subtle sound! But they are also a lot of money :(

Anyway considering I'm not rich, I'll probably get a panel filter this week/next week + a spark plug change to prepare for tuning. Mufflers will be on the agenda soon also. Asides from that and headers, I think focussing on suspension and brakes seems to be the way to go with the 3.0R.

• 1 month later...

AVO Filter is in, next up some nice mufflers!

There's a reputable auto fabrication business near where I live, and my dad's business works with them. Looks likely that I'll get them to fab a manifold/exhaust system for me [emoji14]

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161126/e6e32d61f461d0d37b109e727a34f16a.jpg

Wow, it's great to see N\A people doing things these days

Yeah. My folks have a Mustang, and as far as NA cars go, they're definitely quite a beast. I never really obsessed too much over turbos (nothing against them, but I guess I like the idea of a powerful, reliable engine putting out all it can do without a turbo), and the exhaust, air intake, and tune approach seems inexpensive, efficient, and practical in a sporty yet daily driver type of sense (not to mention my car isn't a cop magnet by any means). When I got my Legacy and further researched into cars, I discovered the H6 is quite a good engine with enough potential to get what I want from it without having to do what all young blokes my age seem to love doing (massive turbo, straight pipe all the way down, etc 😂).

Archived