LegacyGT.com

Upgrade or get rid of

Help me understand the diff between 253 closed deck and say the 255 and 257? Is the 253 less wiring/sensors swap for the turbo application? Are the heads and cams in the 253 heads he has now turbo friendly grind or is that part of this upgraded kit? trans is stout for the power bump? Axles and drive shaft cool?

Not saying the CD 253 is some monster. The "NA to turbo" impreza crowd have done it for awhile. It retains the proper function of cams and other components. also, they handle boost for the long haul. 100k+mile GT's -will they? Esp when we have this new 400 whp benchmark for it.I hear you, it's not a simple/cheap job to swap in a turbo.Obviously the longevity of the car as a whole should be questioned. But, the GT's MT is no champ either, still seems to handle a lot of upgraded power. Why can't a 2.5i gearbox handle 80-100 more? they seem to be doing fine.

We seem to be seeing this from way different perspectives

I havent looked but going to guess that a $5k LGT has hella miles. and probably 05. did they just make the spec B no LGT in 06/07? I dunno. Just ballparking it here, but I think 400 whp done properly and including; brake setup, suspension is gonna be 15-20k +5k hella used LGT 20-25k LGT this just does'nt compare to his goals.

It's important not to just buy any 4thgen LGT. it's been 10 years of people trading these around, running parts without tunes and gutting DP's. they get abused a lot. Because the value is holding so well on these, the ball is in your court if you own one, but looking to buy one can be tricky.

It's not that it's a dead end, you can add power to anything if you throw enough money at it. It's just why spend the money to make one car try to be like another car when you can just buy the other car? For the same amount of money you could either have a 400ish hp GT or a 200hp 2.5i. Both will be at the edge of what the stock engine can handle and adding any more power will become quite a bit more expensive. If you want a fun "project", do an LS swap into an old 240z or something.

How much do performance cams and a tune cost, on top of the $2200 he was quoted for the headgaskets? Can you get performance cams for the 2.5i?

Delta 272 regrinds are cheap AF.

A car doesn't need to be "fast" to be fun. For the last couple days I've been driving my shitbox accord around, which has about 170hp on a good day, but it has a very willing powerband due to breathing mods. I forgot how fun this car was. My LGT, in typical stage 2 fashion has a mountain of torque right in the midrange, but zero reason to wind it out above 5500rpm. The accord has decent-enough torque from being a 2.2L engine, but pulls hard and keeps pulling from 3800 to 6800rpm. It's not a performance engine, it's a single cam that was desgined to drag families around and get decent gas mileage.

Since doing a GT swap on a 2.5i sucks unless you park a donor vehicle next to it and swap everything over, and an AVO turbo kit is money plus a tune plus the questionable reliability of an NA to turbo conversion, that's why I advocated for mild NA work.

So it seems everyone seems to think that Buying an LGT would be a better idea than a complete drivetrain swap. My thoughts are buying a Used LGT is gonna come with a TON of miles. I keep seeing them with 120,000 plus or if they have lower miles they want $25,000. So buying a used turbo car that i am sure was taken care of because it was "adult" driven with 120,000 miles doesnt seem like a great idea. I can get a donor and rebuild that completely and put it in my car and spend less than i would buying a high mileage car. Especially one that has been modified, because we all know there are people who just throw parts at a car and dont get the tune right and go driving it around and could have any number of problems. If i was going to do this i would get a donor car and swap over the needed parts and upgrade the motor and trans myself. Yes i can do the work myself. I got the quote thinking if it was cheap enough would just let them do it and then possibly get rid of the car. It seems the big challenge would be the wiring. I think I read it could be a nightmare.

With only 3 post on here...you need to listen to what we're telling you. Your not the first person to ask this, it happens about once a week.

If your looking for a expensive long term project yea, go ahead.

But it's really not as easy as you think. These are not like a Honda Civic from the 1990's. That was easy to boost with a piggy back on the ECU. See my avatar, 9 second civic with a 1.6L

My 05 GT wagon has 232,000 miles on the chassis, most of the rotating and moving parts have been replaced. I've owned it since new. You can find a used GT in the fore sale forum on here, that's the best place to look. At least you may find one that has a history on this forum.

Take your car to a independent repair shop and have them fix it and then sell it. Find a used GT on here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A car doesn't need to be "fast" to be fun. For the last couple days I've been driving my shitbox accord around, which has about 170hp on a good day, but it has a very willing powerband due to breathing mods. I forgot how fun this car was. My LGT, in typical stage 2 fashion has a mountain of torque right in the midrange, but zero reason to wind it out above 5500rpm. The accord has decent-enough torque from being a 2.2L engine, but pulls hard and keeps pulling from 3800 to 6800rpm. It's not a performance engine, it's a single cam that was desgined to drag families around and get decent gas mileage.

I get it. In the LGT I rarely get any fun "races" beyond a pop in first where the other car simply shuts down or they are so slow it seems like they did. My "daily" kid hauler is a stock 1998 Outback 2.5L NA. It's fun as hell to drive because going through the gears "fast" actually takes some skill and you have a pretty good chance at having a straight line "race" up to 60 with other normal street cars like Jeep Cherokees and BMW 328s.

On the other hand, I acknowledge it for what it is and know that dumping any money into it beyond normal maintenance is rather futile. It gets expensive quick with little gain. It's still a "fun" car. The OP I guess needs to decide if he wants a fun car, or an expensive long-term project.

So it seems everyone seems to think that Buying an LGT would be a better idea than a complete drivetrain swap. My thoughts are buying a Used LGT is gonna come with a TON of miles. I keep seeing them with 120,000 plus or if they have lower miles they want $25,000. So buying a used turbo car that i am sure was taken care of because it was "adult" driven with 120,000 miles doesnt seem like a great idea. I can get a donor and rebuild that completely and put it in my car and spend less than i would buying a high mileage car. Especially one that has been modified, because we all know there are people who just throw parts at a car and dont get the tune right and go driving it around and could have any number of problems. If i was going to do this i would get a donor car and swap over the needed parts and upgrade the motor and trans myself. Yes i can do the work myself. I got the quote thinking if it was cheap enough would just let them do it and then possibly get rid of the car. It seems the big challenge would be the wiring. I think I read it could be a nightmare.

You're on the right track, bud. This is primarily a legacy gt forum, "go buy a GT" is the default saying and it's becoming less relevant as time goes on. The wrx swap would likely become a gong show.

Here's another (bold) option for doing a forced induction 2.5i. It does'nt require tapping into oil pan and the install is a breeze. Water to air cooled Supercharger kit by Raptor (Australia).You've got the strong USD on your side. The 7 psi kit goes for 5100 AUD=3800 USD. I can hear the "whining" already.

Archived