LegacyGT.com

new guy with a 99 Legacy GT 2.5 and a few quesitons

Hey guys! so last weekend, as i was shopping for a mini cooper, i ended up purchasing my first Subaru! always wanted one, so why not haha

its a good car, but it has a few quirks I'm curious about. im pretty sure it'll need diff bushings (ghost thuds when shifting) and new endlinks (rubbing/clicking sound under slightly aggressive braking) as well as a wheel bearing (steering wheel wobbles a bit at speed), but im paranoid that I could be missing something. are there any more likely causes for any of these issues?

also, what should i go ahead and do while im underneath the car? I've been reading a few threads to see what shock options i have, but im still slightly unclear; Impreza struts work with these wagons, right? I lost track of the thread that said, so ill search for that once more.

thanks in advance for any of the help! i'll post pictures when im back on post.

I'd flush the diffs with some good quality fluid while you are doing the bushings. In my experience it's worth it to have a shop/Subaru professional do the shock/strut replacement because they have a tendency to make more noise if they aren't assembled perfectly

good call, that actually slipped my mind. i may also do trans fluid also. do you mean in regards to assembling the struts/shocks or the actual installation? im having a shop put those together, but i was goign to bolt it up myself.

also, does my diagnoses seem right to you?

good call, that actually slipped my mind. i may also do trans fluid also. do you mean in regards to assembling the struts/shocks or the actual installation? im having a shop put those together, but i was goign to bolt it up myself.

also, does my diagnoses seem right to you?

I meant the assembly of the strut, the install can only really go one way. And trans fluid is good but the 4eat doesn't have a filter and dropping the pan only lets out about half of the fluid.

perfect lol i hate compressing springs anyway. i figured thats what you meant, but always good to verify!

its a 5MT, but only half the fluid will come out? bleh.

Oh well yours is stick so you will drain almost all of the fluid when you drop the pan, the automatic has to be flushed to get all the fluid out. So no problem there!

You don't have to use a spacer to get it level, you just have to know the origin of the parts you aren't going to replace as in if they are from legacy or outback or GTs. I don't know much in the way to interchangeability, I know early impreza wrxs 2003 ish will bolt up and I know the first gen foresters will also bolt up but that's all I know of. Are you trying to lift of lower it?

All GD impreza parts fit, the rear sway bar wont quite fit unless you beat the crap out of your spare tire well. As for suspension everything up to the 07 fits MINUS the STI parts they have different widths etc. I would say just get a set of good GD impreza coils. Sedan or Wagon.

• 3 weeks later...
finally found the squeaking! after having my twin convince me to take it to a shop (since i have no tools whatsoever since moving) we found out it was a bent wheel hub assy. the first day i took it up there they were just as confused as me, but after a while it came to light. undeneath the car looks like someone slammed it into a rock lol its not pretty but nothing too major

Archived