LegacyGT.com

Advice on steering rack replacement

I pulled off the inner tie rod this morning, and discovered the boot had split. Not only was it split, but it apparently split a long time ago. The shaft coming out of the steering rack is pitted and corroded. It does not leak, surprisingly, but with the shaft like this, leaking is inevitable.

So my question is would you just replace it now while the front end is torn apart (I've removed the axles and struts and steering knuckles etc.). Or clean it up the best you can, put it back together, cross your fingers, and deal with it once it starts leaking?

I've got everything else apart, so replacing the rack really isn't that much more work, and rebuilt units seem to go for about $225 or so.

And lastly, can anyone recommend a replacement brand?

Edit: sorry, it is a 1994 Subaru Legacy, AT, FWD, 4dr. It has about 230,000 miles on it.

It's not very hard to do with everything back together. I replaced mine when I rebuilt everything up front. The reman unit started pooring out fluid after a couple weeks, so I did the rack again without taking much apart. But, I'd say do it while you are in there and then when you button up you can just enjoy for a good while.

And that is honestly the only reason I hesitate. Remanufactured units - some are crap, some will last 200,000 miles. The take my core which has a bad rod, polish it, put it together, and 20,000 miles later some poor sucker has a steering rack that leaks. I'm just afraid i'm buying someone else's problem....If I had the money, I'd buy a new Subaru unit, but that is $900+ ...

Well....damned if I do, damned if I don't. The shaft is going to leak sooner or later....

And FWIW - the factory rack that the car came with did not last 50,000 miles before leaking LOL,. I had it replaced with a new rack at a Subaru dealer about 18 or so years ago, and it hasn't leaked a drop since....<sigh>....there really are no guarantees, even with a new unit ...

Archived