LegacyGT.com

04 legacy SE 2.5l engine swap to a ej255...

Okay so I want to swap out my engine which I believe is a ej250 or ej253. I want to swap that out for a ej255. Is this realistic? My goal is to have my legacy with basically a stock sti setup besides some minor things like exhaust and a few others. But I'm wondering what kind of budget I can expect to have the job done reliably and right realistically... I know a lot of you might wanna say just buy an sti but that's not possible I have to work with what I got. I know it's a big project... Any help figuring this out would be great. Thanks guys!

You'll find, learn your better off to get this car running reliably with winter coming, save you money and buy a 4th Gen GT.

Now if you have $10,000 or so burning a hole in your pocket, I'm sure we can help you spend it...BTW you would still not have the car you want.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You'll find, learn your better off to get this car running reliably with winter coming, save you money and buy a 4th Gen GT.

Now if you have $10,000 or so burning a hole in your pocket, I'm sure we can help you spend it...BTW you would still not have the car you want.

I was thinking of doing just that actually but I still want it to have an sti set up. Is it cheaper to make that change with an 05 gt?

An 05-09 is basically a detuned STi. My wagon is now faster then a stock STI. It's not really hard to do with a 4th Gen GT. I'll bet the insurance is cheaper on a 4th Gen compared to a STi.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Buy a wrecked 04-07 STi and you'll have most of what you need.

Running/rolling wrecks with decent miles typically go for around $7-9k. . . and you'll almost be guaranteed to have something expensive that needs attention on the donor car.

So the $10k figure if you want a true STi setup is pretty close. You will never recoup all of that investment, either.

You can find 05 LGT's in the $5k range. . .

Some thoughts:

-you pay a hefty premium for that extra gear in the trans. 5MT isn't as strong but if you don't launch it you can keep it alive. Other than that issue, you're no more likely to get laid with a 6mt turbo legacy than a 5mt. . unless you're looking to get your rocks off with dudes.

-4th gen GT is a lot more car than a 3rd gen in ways beyond just the motor. Bigger brakes, better interior amenities, etc. Yes it's harder to get an aftermarket radio shoehorned in but there are ways.

-If you really like your car and want it turbo'd, find a wrecked Forester XT. They also have an EJ255 with metal intake just like the STi, so the STi intercooler bolts right on, as do other STi hand-me-downs (turbo, injectors, etc.). You can find those with MT in the $2-4k range. Won't have a 6 speed or Brembos but you can buy those piecemeal later if you decide you really want them.

An 05-09 is basically a detuned STi. My wagon is now faster then a stock STI. It's not really hard to do with a 4th Gen GT. I'll bet the insurance is cheaper on a 4th Gen compared to a STi.

I have decided I am going to get this car as in good of condition that I can an resell it and buy a lgt. Is the 05 the best/most reliable year for 4th gen lgts?

Only paid 4K for my 04 legacy SE (35th anniversary) 2.5l with just over 100K 1 owner.. (well now two) with a stack of maintenance records. An old lady owned it so it was never beat. It's in mint condition besides some minor interior blemishes. Thinking I could get 5,500 or 6k for it. Sound about right?

So now that I have decided that. What exactly do I need to do to make this a reliable lgt that can keep right up with an Sti with no issues? Reliable car is important of course but I wanna have some fun! Thanks for all the help guys!! This forum is great so far.

Depends on your opinion of "best".

I lean towards the 08-09's as I like the revised taillights, stereo with aux in, and VF43 turbos. You also get secondary air injection which not a lot of people like, but you can delete it.

07-09 spec B is where it's at. Big $$ tho.

Yea I'd have to agree with him ^. I enjoy my 09 Spec B. But my wagon is much faster, but it also has more mods. I wagon is my DD.

Archived