LegacyGT.com

AccessPort purchase question

Ok - so I had a V2 AP on my old WRX, and it worked just fine. I am officially out of my powertrain warranty, so I am thinking about getting an AccessPort for my car. I am only really interested in going stage 1, and don't really see the need to log, etc. unless there is something wrong with the car. I will probably just do an off the shelf stage 1 map (I'm lame that way) rather than looking into a protune.

So the question I have is does the V3 offer anything that makes it worth having over the V2, or is it just the bigger screen (which makes it way easier to use it as a gauge, which I am not going to do). I know when the V3 came out, Cobb had said in a post over on NASIOC that it had hardware updates that would enable them to do more, but I don't believe they have actually done anything with the V3 maps that isn't in the V2 maps.

I guess retail on the V3 is $650, and V2s can be had for half that (or less) - if there is a compelling reason to go with the V3, I will lean that way, but I just am not seeing it (the V3 looks much nicer, and the larger screen is great - I just don't see myself using it a whole lot - basically, flash and forget, I guess - that's pretty much what I did with my WRX (which was an 02) - so what do you guys think? I know I need a SUB-003, but do I go with a used V2 or a new V3?

The benefit of the v3 is that you can monitor up to 6 things simultaneously on the screen vs 1 thing on the v2. If you can find a cheap v2, you could trade it in for a v3 and possibly pay less than you would if you bought a v3 outright. I questioned upgrading to the v3 myself at first, but when the screen crapped out on my v2 I decided it was time. Honestly I do appreciate being able to see Boost, DAM, FKLC, FBKC all on one screen. I also have IAT and coolant temp on screen as well. I think the whole set and forget plan could be dangerous as you wouldnt know anything was going wrong until you pop a code. I'd say if you can reasonably afford the v3 then go that path, but the v2 will be able to flash the map just fine.

V2 will let you flash the same maps so if that's all you plan to dothen I don't think the added features of the v3 mean much. That's what I did.

But those features on the v3 are cool, and a coolant temp gauge is nice sometimes.

The V3 has lots of neat options for the AP itself when hooked up. Is it worth the extra money? That's a subjective question, objectively if you plan to keep the car and AP long term the V3 will definitely be supported well into the future, the V2 only cobb knows how long they will keep up with it.

And I have seen V3 selling for around 500 on ebay and on subaru pages on facebook.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Honestly the main reason I have customers going v3 is due to the added features like bigger screen, quicker software but one big thing a lot of people forget is that it's a much newer electrical device that is just like a cell phone. Depending on how it's been treated even the newest V2 is about 6-7 years old and electrical stuff can break etc. I have now started telling my customers with V2 that they should take advantage of the cobb upgrade even if it doesn't make me a dime since these v2s are getting older and can kick the bucket at any time. I like to have a warranty which is why I stress going new if you plan to keep it for a while but used is still an option too.

Hope this helps and if you decide new is what your looking for let us know, either way happy shopping!

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I will be getting a V3 to replace the V2 in my Forester as soon as possible, monies availability dependent of course. I absolutely love the V3 in my GT and look forward to monitoring several parameters at the same time in the Fozz, and particularly the auto on/off feature.

I would just get the V2. Doesn't sound like you'll be doing any custom tuning, and just a basic stage OTS map flash. V2 would suit your needs fine, flash it throw it in glovebox.

If you do decide to go a V3 route though, send us a PM we are an authorized cobb seller.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
Well... found a V3 for $450 shipped... actually tried to get one locally off of CL (same price) but they don't give a phone number, and don't reply to emails! (keep reposting it, too... tried multiple email addresses so no idea if it went into their spam folder - I did ask if it was married, and never got a reply, so maybe that's it?) Anyway - NASIOC to the rescue... like new - still had the screen protector on and everything. missing the part of the bracket that has the tape on it, but since I didn't really need that, no worries, I suppose. Updated the firmware, downloaded the maps, now all that's left is to flash the car...

Well... found a V3 for $450 shipped... actually tried to get one locally off of CL (same price) but they don't give a phone number, and don't reply to emails! (keep reposting it, too... tried multiple email addresses so no idea if it went into their spam folder - I did ask if it was married, and never got a reply, so maybe that's it?) Anyway - NASIOC to the rescue... like new - still had the screen protector on and everything. missing the part of the bracket that has the tape on it, but since I didn't really need that, no worries, I suppose. Updated the firmware, downloaded the maps, now all that's left is to flash the car...

Nice find! If you decide to go a custom etune route, let us know more than glad to help out!

-Brian :cool:

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would just get the V2. Doesn't sound like you'll be doing any custom tuning, and just a basic stage OTS map flash. V2 would suit your needs fine, flash it throw it in glovebox.

If you do decide to go a V3 route though, send us a PM we are an authorized cobb seller.

-Brian

Exactly what I did. found a V2 from a local guy but was the first gen v2 with the old style dongle. $100. couldn't pass it up, But I plan upgrading in the spring for sure.

If I had found one for $100, I almost certainly would have gone that way, but most folks seem to want $250-300 for them.

The V3 is nice... now I am just nervous about actually using it, which is sort of sad... still haven't flashed the car.

Archived