LegacyGT.com

Did my turbo give out catastrophically?

So I'm driving home from work today, car is set on cruise at 80. Currently have a BNR 18G. Car was running fine, no issues. Tap the breaks to get off the off ramp and I notice it's seems to be running a little rough. I come to a stop at the bottom of the off ramp. See some oil smoke in the mirror and poof it shuts off. Thought it was a head gasket but saw the oil smoke and thought different. Started it up and limped home. Got it home and started it one more time. No noise from the turbo and still seems to build boost but it is blowing smoke from the BOV when it vents and from the exhaust. This turbo only had about 5k miles on it. Does this sound like a blown turbo to you folks?

What year car?

Do you have the required filters in place that Brian say's ?

Why was the turbo replaced with the 18g ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You can also just pull the down pipe and check for shaft play. If you have more then very little then pull the turbo and think about having it rebuilt and replaced.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived