LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

I also ran the Canik TP9SFX and it was nice but I wasn't overly impressed. I assume it's because I been firing my Glock(s) for some time now? Didn't have any issues and didn't remember to try my WML on it that day. The Glock key just happen to work out on the H9.

If you like the TP9SFX I suggest you try yourself a P320 X-Five.

Having owned both I assure you the X-Five is far superior.

Range here just has regular P320. Lots of their case went into the used guns section and they slowly started adding stuff to it. The Sig I liked but couldn't justify when it went to used was the P226 Legion SAO.

I ordered a Springfield Saint Edge. This Is the first AR rifle that I have purchased.

What was the price?

What made you choose the Saint Edge, specifically?

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Buds Guns for $1066

Based this purchase off of:

- a friend owning a Saint, which I have shot a bunch of time and really enjoyed it. It is solid and accurate (more so than me!)

-Features - polished trigger set, sights, muzzle brake included. Billet lower and quality furniture.

-it’s in the general price range where I was hoping to be.

The one that I have shot is equipped with an Aimpoint PRO. I am going to put a Red-dot on as well but I’m leaning towards the Vortex Sparc AR mainly due to cost.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Buds Guns for $1066

Based this purchase off of:

- a friend owning a Saint, which I have shot a bunch of time and really enjoyed it. It is solid and accurate (more so than me!)

-Features - polished trigger set, sights, muzzle brake included. Billet lower and quality furniture.

-it’s in the general price range where I was hoping to be.

The one that I have shot is equipped with an Aimpoint PRO. I am going to put a Red-dot on as well but I’m leaning towards the Vortex Sparc AR mainly due to cost.

I really like Vortex optics. My friend has a Spitfire on his AR we were shooting yesterday. Much much better then a bushnell i picked up. I'd post a pic of his rifle and such but its not wanting to upload for some reason.

Palmetto has the Sparc on black friday, $129. Id pick it up but for just a bit more I'd probably get a spitfire. They also run a deal for $199 you get a sparc and like 10 mags - just a heads up if you need some mags or just want a pretty solid discount.

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

What's your purpose for the gun?

If you're looking at plinking with an occasional training class a year or two, the Vortex will do just fine.

If you're looking for a gun that you're going to use primarily as a class gun and may press into a defensive role, I'd recommend that you make the spend, now, for a more rugged optic.

A bit more spendy are the Holosun units - which are OE for Primary Arms and also, many suspect, SIG. The latter tends to see a hike in price, but SIG also runs a much more aggressive warranty on their units, which in-turn have led some (myself included) to suspect that while it may be rolling off the same OE line, it's likely either got better components and/or sees more rigorous assembly and/or Q/C.

I'm actually very impressed at the price that SA is able to offer the Edge. It's no secret that I've got a slight beef about some of its setup/features, but no, that's not why I asked you what I did - I wasn't fishing to chop you off at the knees ;), I really was just honestly curious as to what appealed to you the most. :)

Enjoy the gun :): just remember to take a moment and insure that the bore is clear before you get out there on your first range-day. There's been more than a few reports of a Saint self-destructing because a piece of the chamber-flag that SA uses having broken off during shipping/transport and obstructed the bore. :spin:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

What's your purpose for the gun?

If you're looking at plinking with an occasional training class a year or two, the Vortex will do just fine.

If you're looking for a gun that you're going to use primarily as a class gun and may press into a defensive role, I'd recommend that you make the spend, now, for a more rugged optic.

A bit more spendy are the Holosun units - which are OE for Primary Arms and also, many suspect, SIG. The latter tends to see a hike in price, but SIG also runs a much more aggressive warranty on their units, which in-turn have led some (myself included) to suspect that while it may be rolling off the same OE line, it's likely either got better components and/or sees more rigorous assembly and/or Q/C.

I'm actually very impressed at the price that SA is able to offer the Edge. It's no secret that I've got a slight beef about some of its setup/features, but no, that's not why I asked you what I did - I wasn't fishing to chop you off at the knees ;), I really was just honestly curious as to what appealed to you the most. :)

Enjoy the gun :): just remember to take a moment and insure that the bore is clear before you get out there on your first range-day. There's been more than a few reports of a Saint self-destructing because a piece of the chamber-flag that SA uses having broken off during shipping/transport and obstructed the bore. :spin:

What’s your beef with the SA Edge? Just curious

The marketing is a bit much.

They made a fuss about the gun being light, but it's really not.

6 lbs. is an easy benchmark nowadays, and full 16-inch carbines that are well within its competitive range, such as the Sionics (which arguably are perceived as a higher tier than SA's offerings) Patrol Three, for example - nothing special at all, using full-weight "MilSpec" components and a forged lower - actually tips the scale a hair over an ounce less.

Given SA's focus on the gun being "quick handling," one would want to minimize as much as possible any forward weight, and I really think that there is a problem, here.

One would assume that there would at least be an ounce or two taken out of the billet lower (the magwell obviously has less material, and there are chunks machined out of the rest of it as well, reminiscent of 2A Balios Lite, and even moreso the Battle Arms Development Billet Lightweight Lower) versus the typical forging, so we can do that math, there. Add the known-quantity buttstock (BCM sloped), and the full-weight internals (and I'm not suggesting that this is a bad thing, here), we can then assume that all that weight is going to be forward of the receiver. And this is what's unfortunate, because we know that this is what's going to kill that "lively-in-hand" feel, as the weight is so far forward on the moment arm.

So is it the barrel that's killing it (but it's supposed to be a "lightweight" barrel), or is it the handguard? Or maybe it's that honkin' muzzle device (which would be nice, as this could be easily changed out by the end-user)?

SA's ARs have already come under a lot of fire from the AR-crowd. Some deservedly, others, less so. Here, I'm just wishing that they didn't give the detractors as much ammo to feed off of as they did.

It's a feature-rich gun, and it's certainly priced right given what you're seeing out-the-door. They should have just let it ride on its own merits.

The marketing is a bit much.

They made a fuss about the gun being light, but it's really not.

6 lbs. is an easy benchmark nowadays, and full 16-inch carbines that are well within its competitive range, such as the Sionics (which arguably are perceived as a higher tier than SA's offerings) Patrol Three, for example - nothing special at all, using full-weight "MilSpec" components and a forged lower - actually tips the scale a hair over an ounce less.

Given SA's focus on the gun being "quick handling," one would want to minimize as much as possible any forward weight, and I really think that there is a problem, here.

One would assume that there would at least be an ounce or two taken out of the billet lower (the magwell obviously has less material, and there are chunks machined out of the rest of it as well, reminiscent of 2A Balios Lite, and even moreso the Battle Arms Development Billet Lightweight Lower) versus the typical forging, so we can do that math, there. Add the known-quantity buttstock (BCM sloped), and the full-weight internals (and I'm not suggesting that this is a bad thing, here), we can then assume that all that weight is going to be forward of the receiver. And this is what's unfortunate, because we know that this is what's going to kill that "lively-in-hand" feel, as the weight is so far forward on the moment arm.

So is it the barrel that's killing it (but it's supposed to be a "lightweight" barrel), or is it the handguard? Or maybe it's that honkin' muzzle device (which would be nice, as this could be easily changed out by the end-user)?

SA's ARs have already come under a lot of fire from the AR-crowd. Some deservedly, others, less so. Here, I'm just wishing that they didn't give the detractors as much ammo to feed off of as they did.

It's a feature-rich gun, and it's certainly priced right given what you're seeing out-the-door. They should have just let it ride on its own merits.

As someone who is VERY GREEN in regards to this gun- Thanks.

I gong to shoot it.

^ No problem. Just an objective look, that's all. :) I actually own four ( \ducks for cover :p ) Springfield XDms - two pairs of carbon-copies that I mirror for range/training use versus defensive/EDC.

I really truly think that the SA's entries into the AR world are well priced and competitive in where they landed in the market.

Go out and enjoy the new gun. I think that you'll enjoy it. :) Again, just be sure you take a peek down the barrel, OK? This is good practice for any new firearm, anyway.

-----

Uhhh SIONICS is not arguably a tier higher in quality than the Springfield Armory.... it’s probably two tiers higher. I’d put the SIONICS up against a Colt, BCM, or DD for quality.

I didn't want the thread to get bogged-down by the nitty-gritty, and just wanted to use a quick illustration to use as a benchmark for Code and other newcomers of the genre, that's all. ;)

The recent Black Friday offers from Sionics and SOLGW really had me chompin' at the bit to press that "BUY NOW" button. :lol:

Well, I have everything in for my Grendel build and I don't like the Seekins MCSR handguard. So off to buy a different handguard and unload the Seekins on a coworker :)

I just got in a 12" Faxon barrel with type II bolt. I already have an old Spike's upper receiver and will be using one of my SBR'd lowers.

Here's a quick pic with the Seekins.

IMG_20171127_211521_01

Edited by chowser51
postimg is broken, sorry

The recent Black Friday offers from Sionics and SOLGW really had me chompin' at the bit to press that "BUY NOW" button. :lol:

Reason I avoided the range this weekend. Had all I needed to walk in and not spend a dime but that Christmas bonus already came in time for Black Friday. I had my eye on either a G42 or G43 granted I need to still fix my 80% build. It still has the "Echo trigger mod" which I believe is the whole damn trigger housing from the fact it hates most connectors to include the one I took out of my G17 for the 3.5 lb one.

Reason I avoided the range this weekend. Had all I needed to walk in and not spend a dime but that Christmas bonus already came in time for Black Friday. I had my eye on either a G42 or G43 granted I need to still fix my 80% build. It still has the "Echo trigger mod" which I believe is the whole damn trigger housing from the fact it hates most connectors to include the one I took out of my G17 for the 3.5 lb one.

Go for the 43 unless you want the smallest Glock made or really want a .380. I wish I held out for the 43 but it was as certain as the cobb FF kit for LGT's at the time :lol: I like it, but its my "its better then nothing" gun. I'd feel much better with it in 9mm and my meat claws like larger frames.

One thing I like about my shooting range is they dont try and sell ya anything. Then again the national forest doesnt sell much ;)

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Go for the 43 unless you want the smallest Glock made or really want a .380. I wish I held out for the 43 but it was as certain as the cobb FF kit for LGT's at the time :lol: I like it, but its my "its better then nothing" gun. I'd feel much better with it in 9mm and my meat claws like larger frames.

One thing I like about my shooting range is they dont try and sell ya anything. Then again the national forest doesnt sell much ;)

The intent was for pocket (with a holster) use. I replaced my pocket gun (SCCY CPX-2) with a Glock 17. Glock 19 before the whole Gen 5 bells and whistles was too small for my hand and not that pocket ready either. I did like the 43 better but it was pretty much new, the 42s were used and most likely on sale this weekend. I did have a random guy in Walmart telling me I should buy them both and never shoot them because they will be collectors items soon. Same guy also told me I should watch my grains because I could damage my guns shooting higher than 115 for my G17. Just to see where he was, I told him I built an 80% gun and his reply was "But I know a guy who builds 100% guns". He asked me if I knew "Thee Glock man" and I said Lenny? His reply was some guy named Steve.

Edited by Merc6

The intent was for pocket (with a holster) use. I replaced my pocket gun (SCCY CPX-2) with a Glock 17. Glock 19 before the whole Gen 5 bells and whistles was too small for my hand and not that pocket ready either. I did like the 43 better but it was pretty much new, the 42s were used and most likely on sale this weekend. I did have a random guy in Walmart telling me I should buy them both and never shoot them because they will be collectors items soon. Same guy also told me I should watch my grains because I could damage my guns shooting higher than 115 for my G17. Just to see where he was, I told him I built an 80% gun and his reply was "But I know a guy who builds 100% guns". He asked me if I knew "Thee Glock man" and I said Lenny? His reply was some guy named Steve.

Are you serious right now?! This is magical. :lol: I've been told the "collectors" BS about my Gen 2's that I carry. Whats the fun of having a gun you wont shoot?

If you can, I always suggest buying both. If I didnt have a shield with Apex flatty and nigh sights already I'd have jumped on the 43. If you plan on pocket carry, I think the pocket size dictates the gun size. The pants Im wearing now I can comfortably pocket and draw my G19, possibly even a 17. Another pair of pants make drawing the 42 difficult.