LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

No 80% is legal in Cali anymore. They are considered a "ghost" gun. Any 80% that was purchased had to be assembled by Jun 30 2017 (as far as I read the regulation). Now they have begun the registration process for them. But have not given exact guidelines on how to acquire and stamp the serial numbers, etc. It is a shit show for sure. I have yet to register anything. I have time to decide still.

For anything I have not based on an 80% its just as bad. Never mind the registration process. Once registered the firearm can never be modified. You cant change ANYTHING. You have to supply PIX!!! If you dont want to register you are supposed to make them zero feature. To me registration sounds like the first step towards confiscation. I doubt you will find too many LEOs ready to volunteer to come take my firearms.

Another violation of my constitutional rights by the state of California. The legislature feels the 2nd amendment stops at your front door. By that logic the the first amendment should stop there too, no?

for the 80% ar lowers, they are all still legal as long as upon completion they are built into configurations that are currently legal, locked magazine (cannot remove magazine unless gun is rendered inoperable by way of opening up the action or featureless (no pistol grip, no flash hider, no collapsible buttstock).

you cannot register 80% built lowers into the AW registry unless they were completed and configured prior to Jan 1 2017. (But since 80% are by nature hard to track, if you bought an 80% last year, who is to say you also didn't finish it last year? ;))

concerning changing parts of your registered AW rifle, i think you are taking the super cautious side as fact. currently there is nothing in the law that says you can't change parts after registration. All they are asking for currently is pictures of how the gun currently sits. nothing in the law states anything about keeping the rifle in the exact same configuration afterwards.

if you use the prior AW registration as guidance, all those rifles that were registered are allowed to change anything short of the serialized part. if the DOJ tries to make it more strict (which they are not allowed to do) then 2A lawyer groups will file suit, and it would make it easier to argue that this law is unconstitutional and get struck down.

i think you need to visit calguns and read the laws section of the forum before you cling to the doom & gloom outlook you have and conform to exactly what the anti-gunners want.

I just setup my go bag, just in case. I decided to just take my S&W MPc.357 Sig if I need to bail. I will take a metal lock case, I know I just should grab a box or two but it just easier to grab a metal case.

Man, I wish you (and all the rest of you guys down there) the best. Be safe.

When you can, please check back here and let us know how it's going.

As a side-note, I've always been curious about "safety checks" at disaster shelters, with bag searches, etc.

----

A wee bit late but I posted a pocket dump last weekend on my road trip. 2 wallets balances out the load if I'm not wearing cargo pants and the ability to shed down to bare essentials in a second.

Do you have EDC-med?

I didn't start until, coincidentally, when an acquaintance told me his story of just how close he came to dying after a motorcycle accident and when I started taking my daughter to the range. Previous to that, I had a blow-out kit when shooting long-gun classes, but nothing true-EDC.

I've been using an Adventure Medical Trauma Pack Pro for the last couple of years, swapping out the included QuickClot pad with Z-fold Combat Gauze and adding a bit of "boo-boo" for practicality (particularly with a small child - but even discounting Anna, I can't count the number of times when the boo-boo part of my kit saved the day).

The reason I ask is because it's pretty much the size of my wallet, so I carry it on my strong side back pocket, opposite the wallet (both as a counterbalance and so that I'm not reaching for my ID with my weapon hand).

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

for the 80% ar lowers, they are all still legal as long as upon completion they are built into configurations that are currently legal, locked magazine (cannot remove magazine unless gun is rendered inoperable by way of opening up the action or featureless (no pistol grip, no flash hider, no collapsible buttstock).

you cannot register 80% built lowers into the AW registry unless they were completed and configured prior to Jan 1 2017. (But since 80% are by nature hard to track, if you bought an 80% last year, who is to say you also didn't finish it last year? ;))

concerning changing parts of your registered AW rifle, i think you are taking the super cautious side as fact. currently there is nothing in the law that says you can't change parts after registration. All they are asking for currently is pictures of how the gun currently sits. nothing in the law states anything about keeping the rifle in the exact same configuration afterwards.

if you use the prior AW registration as guidance, all those rifles that were registered are allowed to change anything short of the serialized part. if the DOJ tries to make it more strict (which they are not allowed to do) then 2A lawyer groups will file suit, and it would make it easier to argue that this law is unconstitutional and get struck down.

i think you need to visit calguns and read the laws section of the forum before you cling to the doom & gloom outlook you have and conform to exactly what the anti-gunners want.

I dont waste my time with interweb stories from people who may or may not know. I pay my lawyer $310 per hour for the info. He would be the one to defend me against prosecution.

No one on Cal Guns has your back. Legal representation is having your back covered. I have more than enough invested in my "hobby" to make sure I am getting proper info and am not going to be blind sided by an over zealous LEO or prosecutor.

I have heard so many conflicting reads of the regulations, especially from FFL's (who obviously have an invested interests in selling product). Until the laws are pushed and someone gets prosecuted we do not have any court decisions to use for reference or precedent. I do not have any where near the monies to push the law. It will most likely take action from the NRA/IRL.

So, until then, I go with the advise of my lawyer. Keep everything locked up, do not leave private property. Wait to register, in hopes of an injunction or other legal over riding decision. Wait to serialize any 80% lowers for the same reason.

Do you have EDC-med?

I didn't start until, coincidentally, when an acquaintance told me his story of just how close he came to dying after a motorcycle accident and when I started taking my daughter to the range. Previous to that, I had a blow-out kit when shooting long-gun classes, but nothing true-EDC.

I've been using an Adventure Medical Trauma Pack Pro for the last couple of years, swapping out the included QuickClot pad with Z-fold Combat Gauze and adding a bit of "boo-boo" for practicality (particularly with a small child - but even discounting Anna, I can't count the number of times when the boo-boo part of my kit saved the day).

The reason I ask is because it's pretty much the size of my wallet, so I carry it on my strong side back pocket, opposite the wallet (both as a counterbalance and so that I'm not reaching for my ID with my weapon hand).

No, don't have anything that small. I'll have to look into something like that so I wouldn't have to walk around looking like Nut'n Fancy with an operator fanny pack. :lol:

I dont waste my time with interweb stories from people who may or may not know. I pay my lawyer $310 per hour for the info. He would be the one to defend me against prosecution.

No one on Cal Guns has your back. Legal representation is having your back covered. I have more than enough invested in my "hobby" to make sure I am getting proper info and am not going to be blind sided by an over zealous LEO or prosecutor.

I have heard so many conflicting reads of the regulations, especially from FFL's (who obviously have an invested interests in selling product). Until the laws are pushed and someone gets prosecuted we do not have any court decisions to use for reference or precedent. I do not have any where near the monies to push the law. It will most likely take action from the NRA/IRL.

So, until then, I go with the advise of my lawyer. Keep everything locked up, do not leave private property. Wait to register, in hopes of an injunction or other legal over riding decision. Wait to serialize any 80% lowers for the same reason.

Yeah sad part with that is there is few folks in Ohio who got and still being sold Shockwaves and Tac-14's and they can't legally take them to a range to shoot them. Hell even Texas is about to make them legal soon but no word for us. Point Blank in other states had them on sale for like $330 or so but here we were shafted.

In other news I ran out of time at the range and only made it though all but 1 mag. Needed to trim some more on the rear rails so it would return to battery and snag the next round. I ended up just going single shot and then used the regular lower to finish off the 33 round mag. That connector is a worthwhile upgrade especially how cheap it was. Also went back and took both trigger groups out and polished the trigger bars, stock connector and the safety plunger. Will see how it runs next month.

Until the laws are pushed and someone gets prosecuted we do not have any court decisions to use for reference or precedent.

these two statements from you contradict each other. even the lawyer you are using isn't 100% sure on how a local DA will go with these new laws until there is a case.

either way. you got your interpretations on how to stay within the law, and i've got mine.

and yes, i never listen to FFL's concerning gun laws, nor even about guns. they are just there to process my DROS paperwork, and some suck even at doing that.

No, don't have anything that small. I'll have to look into something like that so I wouldn't have to walk around looking like Nut'n Fancy with an operator fanny pack. :lol:

And that's exactly why I've compromised in the way that I do. :lol: I can't sport the tactical man-purse look. :p

The EDC-med looks just like another wallet on my hip. I originally thought about ankle carry, but that acquaintance I wrote of above with his accident: he almost severed left leg... so he'd have been SOL if that leg was torn off in the accident, and was some distance up the road, even if he'd had EDC-med and carried it there (what made it worse in his case was that he'd also almost completely severed his left arm; the only reason he survived was because an off-duty EMT just happened to come down the same road only seconds after he'd crashed). This made me want to keep things more centerline and ambi-accessible.

What really gave me trouble was finding a way to carry (without going to the ankle) a TCCC/TECC-recommended TQ while still being low-profile. None of the commercial carriers (Lunar Concepts SwiftTQ, PHLster Flatpack, etc.) was able to offer me the degree of concealment I wanted.

Edited by TSi+WRX
Edited for clairty.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I had to give up legally purchased and owned firearms during the first AW ban. I learned a valuable lesson from the Brady Bill.

Heck, when it was signed the firearms community was not concerned with the specifics of the second amendment. We were concerned with the outright outlaw of all firearms in this country. Friggin Storm (Bill) Ruger went on Tom Brokaw and said ""No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun". "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock." "I see nothing wrong with waiting periods." Guess he was scared shitless they would outlaw the mini 14.

By the way, a AR15 is NOT an assault weapon. It is a sporting rifle.

Edited by m sprank
poor spelling.

Friggin Storm Ruger went on Tom Brokaw and said ""No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun". "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock." "I see nothing wrong with waiting periods." Guess he was scared shitless they would outlaw the mini 14.

Bill Ruger was an idiot. The company has come a long way since he died.

By the way, a AR15 is NOT an assault weapon. It is a sporting rifle.

Wrong argument. A pet peeve, and IMHO part of our messaging problem, and as disingenuous as saying a rifle without a pistol grip is somehow safer. It doesn't matter what it is, as the 2nd makes no distinction about what kind of arms, and if you read the Founders' other documents it's clear that the right to own "assault weapons", or military type arms was exactly what they were trying to protect.

Agreed. But by referring to any weapon as an "assault weapon" you feed the anti-gun fear. Common sense tends to fall far to the back when speaking about firearms and US law.

Who needs a FULLY semiautomatic weapon anyway?

Adding furniture does not make a weapon any more deadly than it was when it left the factory. Guns dont kill people, people kill people. Oh, and I have been having a long running debate with my mother about the dangers of guns when used to injure innocents. IE terrorist attacks. I hold that automobiles are far more dangerous/deadly than guns, she does not agree.

I thought Armalite Rifle is what it stood for. Either way, the way folks are doing home invasions a simple 10 round 9mm pistol is a losing battle. With all the looting taking place during the current crisis you also lose in a 10 round 9mm pistol situation. With a shotgun you got 00 but you have to maneuver the long gun around tight spaces since Shockwaves and Tac-14's aren't "Shotguns" but state level laws still ban them as if it were NFA items. I went from 26" to 18" on my 870 express and tho it made a drastic difference when I practiced clearing my house, there is still some choke points where I can't effectively swing around and not be completely off target. AR vs shotgun, you can trust your s/o to be able to handle recoil vs telling them "Place the buttstock against this wall and shoot it in that direction" hoping they hit something.

Full auto/ 3 round burst has it's role but it's hard to justify it where I live. Even without a gust of wind I could stand inside the lower level of my house and pee on my neighbors house. At that point I could reasonably see it being highly frowned upon. You live out in the sticks and you really have to wait an eternity for the sheriffs to get to you then your papers should go through the system a bit quicker. At that point your unaccounted rounds off target for a moving target should not jeopardise an entire city block. Lots of folks in this thread have gone through multiple training situations so you clearly understand that you shouldn't be doing a IV8888 meltdown test fire in a highly populated area to hit 1 assailant.

End of the day, you also have to enforce laws already on the books and not just create a ton more to the point everyone is in violation just by simply waking up the next morning. That isn't making the country safer, you just turned the average joe into a criminal. As much money folks have "Legally" invested in their gun collection I could see why folks who passively turned into criminals overnight actively stay criminals. I was watching a gun buy back video the other day where folks literally turned in guns for target gift cards because they felt safer w/o them even tho they had been held up at gunpoint and/or had their home invaded repeatedly.

New page bump because merc6 doesn't know how to resize pictures

:lol::lol: I love looking at the detail in the pix, to see what I can find. It's kinda like Where's Waldo. :lol::lol:

New page bump because merc6 doesn't know how to resize pictures

LOL! Most the new forums shrink them almost instantly but here takes forever. I'll probably go back a few pages and IMG thumb them before the $300 shaft happens. How is your post per page count set? I'm 6 or so posts into the next page already.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/th_467EBFF0-F434-4FE9-9A24-54FCFC72D547_zpso1ihkevd.jpg

"I also fixed a gun to the point I'm confident the next owner can use it w/o issues I had from the beginning and let it go. Not sure if you guys remember why I even got the SCCY CPX-2. Last year my nephew had his in his possession when he was killed. He died trying to get it out of his locked glove box hours after the CAVS won the championship. The original gun is gone but I was able to find one like it from the exact same store. Part of my closure was to see if he could at least return fire had he been able to get it. From going though his belongings and receipts, the gun was brand new and only had about 11 rounds fired though it. Not sure what I want in place of it yet."

The little guy finally made it to the display at even a price higher than I got it from them originally.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/th_4E32894B-D44B-422E-BCB7-E0D8FDBF2ADE_zpspxjnkenk.jpg

Edited by Merc6

AR-15 was used in Sandy Hook and San Bernadino shootings. Those attacks sold more guns - lots of people worried the fed govt would move to ban them. My state, Maryland, did ban them, but had a few months period between passing the law and the law going into effect, so lots of people (myself included) bought one while we still could.

AR-15 was used in Sandy Hook and San Bernadino shootings. Those attacks sold more guns - lots of people worried the fed govt would move to ban them. My state, Maryland, did ban them, but had a few months period between passing the law and the law going into effect, so lots of people (myself included) bought one while we still could.

Oh yeah. The shop that I worked at sold a lot of guns after Sandy Hook. The owner was a real ass, so he took advantage of the situation. He also got lucky since he had just gotten in about 120 Colt LE 6920s about a week before. We had a lot of people come in buy guns, not just AR-15s, but they were the biggest seller. The sad part is that people would choose to buy a gun instead of paying their mortgage or other bills. After everything settled down and they realized that nothing was going to happen, they would come back and try to sell us the gun. Unfortunately, as the replacement cost of the firearm hadn't changed, we would only be able to offer them a portion of that amount. This ended up being substantially less than what they paid.

Edited by firepyro515

What's the ******* point of that shit?

Seriously? It's not art work like engraving from a master engraver. Nor is any of that shit going to functionally enhance the pistol. Does the extra mill work make it more reliable? Nope, probably the opposite.

Glocktards are amusing to me.

Seriously? It's not art work like engraving from a master engraver. Nor is any of that shit going to functionally enhance the pistol. Does the extra mill work make it more reliable? Nope, probably the opposite.

ROFL. You just made my day good sir. :lol::lol::lol:

Weight savings?:hide:

:lol:

I remember when Glocks first hit the market, and all the glockaholics were all about 'utiliterianism' and making fun of 'pretty' guns. It's come full circle...

My experience with glocks was identical to my experience with 1911's. They work great from the factory, but the minute you tinker they become incredibly unreliable.

I had a 26 that loved light primer strikes. Previous owner used a lot lube. I stripped the entire slide and frame and removed all of the crap then reassembled with factory suggested lubracation. Light primer strikes still persisted.

Buddies 17 does the same thing. Super picky with reloads. Probably why out of 30 shooters in my club only one shoots a glock.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

My experience with glocks was identical to my experience with 1911's. They work great from the factory, but the minute you tinker they become incredibly unreliable.

It really depends on who's doing the work - just like it is with 1911/2011s.

----

As for the extra cocking serrations, I am among those who appreciate them for better traction when my hands are wet from sweat or rain (I've yet to be that bloodied during training/practice, but I suppose that anything is possible, with how klutzy I am :lol:) - double that if I'm also cold or just extremely fatigued at the time.

Ditto for single-handed manipulations.

I just wish I had the dough to get that kind of cuts on my defensive handguns.

I make-do with the poor-man's substitute: grip tape. :p

Forward cocking serrations I like simply because that's how I do press-checks. It's not a must-have, but I'm willing to sacrifice some cleanliness-of-lines to gain that functionality in a working gun.