LegacyGT.com

09 legacy special edition: head gaskets

2.5 non turbo w/ 137k on her. Just bought her a few months ago. Took her to the shop today for a free inspection after smelling a burning rubber smell. Turns out It's the infamous head gasket leak and and alignment needed. To do the head gaskets would be $3,000 but a rebuild would cost a little less? I'm torn between the two...if I was to go with a engine swap would I need to get the exact non turbo engine again or could I swap it with the turbo model? As you can tell I'm pretty new to cars. Anything helps, thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's as simple as is sounds to swap in a turbo motor into a non-turbo. The motor and turbo would absolutely fit perfectly, but the electronics and very different between these turbo/non-turbo cars.

I can't imagine new head gaskets costing $3k.

Drive over to my place and I'll do it for $2k... a steal for both of us!

If that price included pressure testing and cleaning up the head (clean and lash), replacing all those rubber bits and associated fluids and the labor $3K is about right.

You could skip all the extra and pull the heads, clean surfaces (if true/flat) install new HG and be done with it also. Tough call a 2.5i isnt worth that much money to spend 50% of the value in a repair could be tough but if you plan to keep the car its cheaper than a new/newer car.

A swap is twice the cost esp if you cant do any of the work/tuning the cheapest route is a known good condition whole EJ253 you can buy a complete one from $1500-$2500 depending on year, miles and known condition.

Archived