LegacyGT.com

Rotella T6 5W30?

TBH I use the yellow color purolator filter I forget the number but I've never had any issues with them but I stopped in the auto store today and I see they changed the look now to a blue look.. at first I thought it was a whole new brand.

Just because you haven't had issues with it, doesn't mean it's right for the car. Might be, though. What's the bypass pressure on it? IIRC our cars spec a pressure of 23PSI, and not many filters fit the bill.

These EJ motors pump a LOT of oil, so a better filter goes a long way.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Just because you haven't had issues with it, doesn't mean it's right for the car. Might be, though. What's the bypass pressure on it? IIRC our cars spec a pressure of 23PSI, and not many filters fit the bill.

These EJ motors pump a LOT of oil, so a better filter goes a long way.

Thanks for posting the bypass pressure. I looked up the M1-108 filter which is what I have been using and it has bypass valve pressure (psi): 11 To 17 psi, so its lower than the 23. How would that affect engine performance if the bypass engages at a lower pressure?

It would mean that the bypass is opening at a lower pressure. Since EJ (and likely other) Subarus have higher oil flow than most cars, they need a higher bypass pressure, or else you end up running the filter in bypass mode more than intended. This would occur mostly in high RPM situations, or during cold start (when pressures are higher).
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

It would mean that the bypass is opening at a lower pressure. Since EJ (and likely other) Subarus have higher oil flow than most cars, they need a higher bypass pressure, or else you end up running the filter in bypass mode more than intended. This would occur mostly in high RPM situations, or during cold start (when pressures are higher).

Thank you for the info! I will definitely switch then!

I'd like to thank those that have posted good info and part numbers in this thread. Just picked up a 2005 GT for my wife with only 53,000 miles. Did an oil change with M1 and the 108 filter but will be switching to the Roki one and T6 next oil change. I see on Amazon it's just under $10, so money can even be saved vs the M1-108 that cost me $13. Hopefully a pack of 6 will bring the price down more, anyone care to share their secret on where to get these filters the cheapest?

TBH I use the yellow color purolator filter I forget the number but I've never had any issues with them but I stopped in the auto store today and I see they changed the look now to a blue look.. at first I thought it was a whole new brand.

So did I but over-sized one. I will go back to the Roxi ones for the reasons stated on PSI. I'm sure that's part of my issue with the oil in my old block.

Sweet! Good info on going 5w-40 vs 30... is having a Subaru genuine filter really that necessary? Seriously.. I'll spend the extra few dollars if it is...but for convenience I'd rather not... FRAM okay?

Seriously YES... at the least use an OEM oil filter. There are other options posted above but do not cheap out on oil or filter for these cars. And make sure you check the oil regularly and keep it topped off

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

love me some Tokyo Roki RX8 filters, I buy them by the 6 pack from my local mazda dealer, they usualy do $1. over cost for each one. And its true cut one open and just see how nice they are. Also I always prefill my filter with oil before screwing it on.

love me some Tokyo Roki RX8 filters, I buy them by the 6 pack from my local mazda dealer, they usualy do $1. over cost for each one. And its true cut one open and just see how nice they are. Also I always prefill my filter with oil before screwing it on.

As stated above, wouldn't the lower bypass pressure of these filters cause our cars to prematurely or even constantly bypass the filter?

While our manuals state 5w30, there's no reason not to have better performing oil.

The oil breaks down over time, so the initial viscosity rating does not hold over your oil change interval. Rotella T6 40 weight may shear to a 30 weight after a few thousand miles, and a 30 weight would break down into the 20s... which is great for gas mileage, but not so great for lubrication and reliability.

Regarding filters, the OEM blues used to be the way to go. But the last six pack I bought will be it for me. Each one of them has wept oil on both the Saabaru and LGT. They are now light and flimsy, too. Turns out they're no longer made by a quality company (now built by FRAM), so many of us have switched to the Mazda RX8 oil filter built by Tokyo Roki (previous makers of our old OEM blue filters). The part number is N3R1-14-302. These Mazda filters have the same bypass pressure as the Subaru units, they're better quality inside and out, and they are even a little taller. They also don't leak oil... always a plus :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mazda-N3R1-14-302-Filter-Cartridge/dp/B00HG7G3VA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473708263&sr=8-1&keywords=N3R1-14-302

This one? ^^^?

Archived