LegacyGT.com

PnP HID or Halogen? Time constraint considered.

bman

I'd like to improve the brightness of my headlights. I currenlty got Osram Night Breaker Unlimiteds. I've been reading some mediocre reviews of the LED options. I believe the best value would be HID. The challenge is that with my kids, I don't have a lot of time for a complete retrofit. In fact, I've got all the parts for a RX330 retrofit in my basement and they've been in boxes for over 7 years! So here's my constraints.

1) Daily Driver. I can't leave the bumper or headlights off at all.

2) Limited working time. Approximately, 30-45 minutes.

3) Not rich. Prefer less than $100. Will go as high as $200 for reliable kit.

I think I've got one of 2 options:

1) Osram Rallye 65 (halogens)

2) A PnP HID kit: Morimoto, Kensun, Extreme HID...others.

Is 30-45 minutes enough to do a PnP HID install?

Do not do PNP hid without filling in the squirrel finders. If you're going that far, you probably should just go ahead and put in your RX330 bowls.

The Rallye 65W's are a good upgrade and won't blind people. ALL PNP without opening them up will.

If you're willing to go up to $200 and have the RX330 parts already, just buy a used/depo set of headlights and retrofit those. The swap will only take ~45 minutes, and you can sell your stock ones once done. If you make custom curved shields (use a coke can) you can get close to S2K performance out of the RX330 setup.

The sad part is I already have a 2nd pair of headlights. I got as far as baking them open and removing the orange side markers. I potted the ballasts and started to mount them underneath the headlights. That's as far as I got. Kids can be a joy and a pain. :D

Archived