LegacyGT.com

Shudder on Acceleration

Trying to diagnose our 08 Legacy GT Limited. Picked this up about 2 months ago, and my buddy who I bought it from changed the clutch to an Exedy Stage 2, 3 puck with WRX flywheel and a new throwout bearing about 9 months ago.

On acceleration out of 1st, we've gotten some shudder as we've been trying to get used to the Stage 2. However, the other night, felt like the clutch was slipping. Looked like the pedal adjustment had slipped all the way out, so I resolved that and it feels better. However, in 2nd gear, on fairly hard acceleration, I get a shudder around 2500 or 3000 rpm. My guess is it's the clutch, but I'm not fully confident in that diagnosis at this point. I do know that the passenger side, front has a torn boot that I'm about to repair as well.

So, best way to get a proper diagnosis on this? I'd hate to do a clutch job for no reason!

Thanks!

Giff

Car has about 150. Boot is torn on the passenger side, inboard and I was about to do the boot replacement.

I'm going to guess it's the axle. My Forester X had 144k miles on it and the right front axle jiggled loosely when grabbing the shaft and moving it around, the left side had already been replaced before we bought the car and it still moved, but was very stiff with little movement.

If the boot has not been torn for very long, I'd re-boot it. OEM axles work perfectly, some after market are well... less then perfect. I'm on my 4th left front. Rebooted the right front last year. 229600+ miles.

If I had to buy an axle I'd trust raxles.com over anyone else. I know they worked well in Honda's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived