LegacyGT.com

Thinking of Trading my 03 VR6 GTI For a 05 LGT

Hello all,

Im beginning to think i have Legacy GT fever lol. I currently own 3 95-99 LGT's (1 parts car, 1 car getting swapped, and 1 DD) and a 03 Golf GTI VR6 6 speed. Been considering getting rid of the golf and a trade option has fallen into my hands. Found someone who wants to trade me their 05 LGT 5EAT. Mods are as follows :

40k On rebuild

VF52 turbo

Indivia downpipe

Cobb intake

Perrin top mount

Perrin turbo inlet

Tein basis coilovers

Cobb EBCS

Cobb AP V3

I spent wintertime rebuilding the GTI and have roughly 3k on the rebuild. We will see what happens with the trade. Excited and Sad at the same time as my GTI is quite fun but i am ready for something different, Plus subaru is what i know best. :)

Is there anything i should specifically look for on the 4th Gen?

20160624_140222.thumb.jpg.4abc460ec513f19c3709a1a136692629.jpg

14163562_10154490786338914_1348828897_o.thumb.jpg.cc0646c251bf9fceb835c238ac729226.jpg

Is that 40k on a rebuilt engine with the vf52 or 40k on a rebuilt vf52 ?

With the AP I would contact www.tuningalliance.com and have him review your MAP.

I have over 75,000 miles on my ej257 and rebuilt heads and over 85,000 miles on the vf52. Engine runs great on Mike's tune.

These cars will use oil, so always check and keep it topped off, a little over full is fine.

There are plenty of threads on here that start out...I just bought a GT and driving it home the turbo blew or the engine started knocking.

They are fun cars if maintained well. They are not cheap to keep, but can give amazing bang for the buck.

Wheel bearings seem to be one issue but are easy to replace for you. You can DIY so if you get a good car, you should be fine.

If you get it make sure you have the MAP reviewed by Mike. Tell him I sent you.

A oil sample to Blackstone Labs is a good idea too.

There is a ton of aftermarket support for these cars and just about everything you need to know is on here.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

That may help too, also check out the sticky's at the tops of the forums and the "vacation Pic's sticky at the top of the Gen Chat forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is that 40k on a rebuilt engine with the vf52 or 40k on a rebuilt vf52 ?

With the AP I would contact www.tuningalliance.com and have him review your MAP.

I have over 75,000 miles on my ej257 and rebuilt heads and over 85,000 miles on the vf52. Engine runs great on Mike's tune.

These cars will use oil, so always check and keep it topped off, a little over full is fine.

There are plenty of threads on here that start out...I just bought a GT and driving it home the turbo blew or the engine started knocking.

They are fun cars if maintained well. They are not cheap to keep, but can give amazing bang for the buck.

Wheel bearings seem to be one issue but are easy to replace for you. You can DIY so if you get a good car, you should be fine.

If you get it make sure you have the MAP reviewed by Mike. Tell him I sent you.

A oil sample to Blackstone Labs is a good idea too.

There is a ton of aftermarket support for these cars and just about everything you need to know is on here.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

That may help too, also check out the sticky's at the tops of the forums and the "vacation Pic's sticky at the top of the Gen Chat forum.

It was a brand new OEM shortblock installed. I have the receipt picture :)! Turbo is on it as well as the 2nd item.

This being my 4th legacy to add to my collection, ive got me head wrapped around them fairly well but thanks for the tips. Between this and my 98 LGT EJ257/V2 STI RA Head combo swap i have going on i sure have my hands full lol. :spin:

23823407_Rebuiltenginerecieipt.thumb.jpg.9d167e56dad998b6dda37e3e30b6f196.jpg

Looks like you got good pricing on the parts.

You should be fine.

Another thing I've found is these cars like to be driven, they seem not to do well if you only start them drive a few miles and shut them off.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you get a decent one, and pay attention to it (the APV3 will make monitoring critical parameters super easy), these cars aren't nearly the unreliable shitboxes they're made out to be on these forums. If you can work on your own stuff, and don't ignore things, they're extremely rewarding. Where else can you get into a comfortable, fast, agile, AWD sedan that can easily be made way faster than it has any reason to be for this kind of money.

I adore mine. Garnet red pearl is apparently a rare color (only available on 2005/2006GT's), and even though I normally hate red cars it's really grown on me (I passed on another LGT previously because it was red).

Another thing I've found is these cars like to be driven, they seem not to do well if you only start them drive a few miles and shut them off.

Not to mention they get hilariously bad fuel economy if you do this. When I used to work super close to home, I'd be just getting up to temp a few block away from work. The car seemed happier when I started doing rippers for the last stretch before work, and took it for a drive to run errands in the morning when I got out.

Im excited. Heading to check it out after work today. I do all my own work, although i hope not to have to do much to this LGT.

Most of the work you'd possibly have to do on an '05 has already been done. I see wheel bearings (because subaru) and brake pads (from doing quick pulls and braking down to the speed limit constantly) in your future.

I'm assuming it has a catless up pipe already. The stock turbo inlet has already been replaced, so you won't have to worry nearly as much about that. It's already got a downpipe and an aftermarket intercooler that won't leak.

Like MaxCap said, have a tune checked out to make sure it's totally happy, give it a steady supply of T6, then enjoy the hell out of it.

Archived