LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT engine noise

I have been reading some of the rebuild post lately and been thinking that I may have to go in this direction myself. My 2005 Legacy only has 102,000 miles on it I am the second owner of the car and have had it since 30,000 miles. I quit driving the car a year and half ago because of a weird engine noise on idle. I am at the point of trying to figure out what the problem is or actually junking the car which I would hate because I love this car. There isnt any engine codes, but the noise sounds like a loud screeching sound coming from the top of the motor on the driver side front of the car. The car starts fine and idles fine. Does anyone have any suggestions or could point me in the right direction. I could possible post a video with sound if that needs to happen.

He did mention it happens at idle, but does the sound go away while driving? The best way to help if he took a vid of the engine while idling.

Could also be a bad/worn out pulley.

To test for a worn out pulley, take off the black plastic timing housing. Start the car and let it idle, then take some spray lubricant like WD40 and lightly spray the pulleys that seem to making the sound. If the sound goes away, then you need to replace the pulley(s).

My wife's balls are delicious.

I haven't drove the car because I am afraid something internal to the engine is wrong. The year and a half sitting was due to my stock turbo bearing getting worn out. The turbo was stick in tact just a little back and forth shaft play that was making the exhaust put out smoke. The noise never goes away during idle it is constant. The battery is dead at the moment, so I will get it jumped and post a video ASAP. If something catastrophic was going on inside the motor wouldn't I get some kind of CEL?

Not always true. Engine bearings can be damaged before you get a CEL.

are you telling us there is a problem with the turbo or did you replace that?

If replaced, did the old turbo put metal into the oil system ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived