LegacyGT.com

Either bricked ECU or....??

So I just tried flashing a new ROM to my ECU. When it was almost done flashing, it seems like the connection dropped out and I got this error:

[17:36:43.032] J2534 error [ERR_TIMEOUT].

I had gotten this error before but it didn't even allow me to start to flash. When the error popped up, I looked on my dash and my dash was saying "Run mode change system check" and cruise was flashing. I immediately suspected the worst, bricked ECU. My question is, what are the symptoms of a bricked ECU? My laptop can connect to and read the ECU since I can still pull logs (battery voltage, which is 11.86, coolant temp) and ECUFlash will still connect to the ECU. I suspected a bad battery so I tried jumping it for a bit, and after about 3 minutes of having another car connected, my Subaru cranked twice and then died again, still with the Run mode... error. Would a bricked ECU EVER crank like that? I want to believe that it's just a shit battery, since it's 4 years old, has completely drained twice and was sitting for 6 months at one point disconnected. I'm only bringing up this post since I don't have a way of installing a new battery before Friday, but I do have time to remove my ECU and overnight it somewhere to be unbricked.

My battery theory comes from this post on this site where the OP hasthe same error message:

I just got a call from the dealershiip. Verdict: Bad Battery.

And even better news they did not give me a hard time about the HID's and they are not billing me for ANYTHING, rental, labor nothing. They didnt have to do that.

P.S. "Built to last, DuraLast!" is a crock of shit... Duralast Gold 800 CA & 640 CCA - Now it tests 64 CA ::)

I also have a Duralast battery...

Archived