LegacyGT.com

How to tell if your turbo is done

Hey guys so I just recently purchased an 06 obxt and I'm just in the process still of combing through the car and working out the kinks. About 10k miles ago the turbo was supposedly replaced with a larger unit. I ended up having to take the car to the local dealership to have an unrelated issue sorted out and they told me that they had found some metal shavings in some oil outlet tube (or something to that affect) in thinking maybe that was from the old until that was replaced? Any way I can check the current unit to make sure it's still operating correctly, and also the previous owner knew they replaced the turbo with a larger one but how can I figure out which turbo it actually is? Thanks!

... they had found some metal shavings in some oil outlet tube (or something to that affect) in thinking maybe that was from the old until that was replaced?

Not sure why this isn't a red flag......as I understand it, these end up in the engine and cause 'issues'.

The old VF40 (?) turbos were known to explode and take the engine down w/it.

I'd look online/here to see the best way to 'clean out' the engine oil, including removing those screens in the lines to the heads and turbo. I'd get an oil analysis (Blackstone, for example) and verify the internal condition.

If it has 10K miles since the turbo replacment maybe that's a good sign.

GL,

TD

Archived