LegacyGT.com

Brakes 2013 Subaru Legacy Sport

Hello,

I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy Sport and I am going to due a complete brake job on both front and back. The car has 108,000 miles. Where is a good place to purchase parts besides going to a dealer and spending big cash. I priced out my job and it was $1300.00. I wouldn't mind upgrading and I would like to buy a kit with the whole shabang. Also if my Sport sub model has 16in disks on it can I go with 17in? Tire is on a 18in rim?

Thanks

I would hit up the parts store, get some stuff with a warranty that is off the shelf. For a 2.5i you are wasting money making significant upgrades from stock. A good set of tires and a sportier suspension would be a much better place to spend that money.

Dgoodhue,

The calipers are rattling a little. I have not touched the brakes at all. The rotors give a little wobble under little more than moderate brake pressure. I think its about time.

FLlegacy,

Advanced says they don't carry any calipers/ rotors for the car. I have a set of Perelli Cinturato.

I guess maybe i need to find another parts store

My point is the stock calipers are plenty reliable and more than adequate for the car a good set of pads and tires will be of more real world benefit than calipers. Rotors will depend on what you can get, I would stick with stock or a good name brand like centric.

Replace the rotors. Get a set of good pads Stoptech Street Performance, or whatever they are called nowadays, are a good place to start. If you still have money to burn, performance summer tires, Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a great choice. If the money issue is persistent, get a set of lightweight wheels to mount your summer tires on.

I went to Summit for the parts in Akron. I had them order Stoptec kit. Comes with rotors and calipers for all corners. I asked them to order 4 centric calipers. Payed for the parts, they told me the calipers were being shipped direct to my home. On my way out the door I looked at the receipt and realized they ordered brackets instead of calipers. I went back to the counter and they gave me a credit and ordered me the proper part. I was told it would be D/S direct shipped. I was on my way home and loked at the receipt and realized one caliper was in stock and was R/PU Retail pickup. I turned around and picked up the part. A couple days later when I get the parts I matched was was bought with what i had and what was listed online with Summit. Everything matched up. I install the parts and during the install on the rear left caliper the brake line hole was in a different spot. I tried installing but there wasn't any slack in the brake line left. So I took the rear calipers back.

Anyway the new rotors,pads and front calipers work very well. I had caliper rattle for the last 30,000 miles and its gone. Summit is not a good place to buy brake parts. I think they buy 2nds from Centric. I didn't want to by brakes online, wanted to go to brick and morter.

Summit Racing has never been an issue for me and I have ordered a hundred parts from them over the years. Admittedly though, they tend to be better with universal parts or US cars, they wouldn't be my first choice for OEM replacement or aftermarket parts on my Subaru

I would highly recommend just doing KNS Brakes next time, they know our cars very very well.

I picked up some hawk 5.0 off tire rack for 200. The centric blank rotors were about 230. Ran them with good results on my 06 wrx. With fluid your looking at about 500 in parts and it's a relatively simple job (wheel off, remove caliper, remove rotor, reverse process, flush, and ur done) if you end up doing it yourself you could save quite a bit.

Archived