LegacyGT.com

Transmission rebuild?

Any know of helpful guidance and links on rebuilding the 5MT out of a 96 outback?

I picked up a beat parts car that had a failing chassis. Clutch/trans made noise when clutch was released. Guy said the clutch was done but he didn't seem to be sure about the throwout bearing. I assumed that was the issue. The noise went away when clutch was pressed.

I have the engine and trans out now and intend to use the trans. However the throw bearing seems fine and the input shaft is "a bit wobbly". So I'm assuming I'm cracking open the gear box. Search function was able to find me more engine rebuilds than details on the trans. Since it is a manual, I'm assuming this job is simple enough to complete on the bench top.

Any details would be much appreciated!

So I am a goofball, I forgot the FSM's are available from link in the stickies!

I am digging through that now.

Anyone tackle this before? I see a lot of anti-DIY sentiment about transmission, but really there is no dark art here. Important to know the clearance specs and where to source any required replacement parts.

Everyone says the 5MT is alien technology assembled by leprechauns and there is no possible way a human could work on it. I've never toured a Subaru facility, but I am pretty sure both the assembly staff and design staff are 100% human.

I have a spare 5MT lying about that I will rebuild sometime. As you say, using the FSM, and finding sources for parts is important. Having enough machine tool knowledge to use/make any needed special tools is also good.

Yeah there are plenty of flame blasted threads about helical gear pixies that claim the impossible is improbable. I am going too wait to I have a weekend to document the tear down. The where to order parts is the missing puzzle piece.

Archived