LegacyGT.com

What does the R in 3.0R stand for?

H6 is the name of Subaru's 3.0L 6 cylinder engine used starting in 2001, most often used H-6 3.0L and later 3.6L engines . Certain models are called 3.0R (3.0L) or later 3.6R (3.6L), and the 'R' is an older marketing term from the early 2000s for 'revolution'. It also has been claimed to not have any specific meaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BeastCoast1

Looking at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_engines

H6: This version uses one exhaust port per head, a cable-actuated throttle, variable intake geometry, and a cast aluminium intake manifold. It was only available with an automatic transmission.

3.0R: This version received new cylinder heads with 3 exhaust ports per head, AVLS, AVCS on the intake cams only, a drive-by-wire throttle, and a plastic intake manifold. It was available in manual and automatic unlike the old EZ30D.

Both are designated EZ30D.

453747.png

FYI: "H" is the auto industry's abbreviation for Horizontal, aka Flat or Boxer. I tell my friends that my car has a Japanese Porsche engine. I've had 2 VWs with flat-4s, a Karmann Ghia convertible, and a Squareback. I love the sound of a Boxer engine at WOT. The 3.0R hits the right notes for me.

Archived