LegacyGT.com

Bad Slave / Master / Clutch Lines ?? Replacement ??

GrasshopperLGT

Have a 2005 Legacy GT with 118k miles. Unknown when clutch was replace, unknown history. Loosing fluid (need to check for leaks) and have to top it off every now and then, never have had it below the min level. Have a COBB Short throw.

Problem: Shifting into any gear sometimes requires a double clutch and then I can get into gear. Going into 1st or R is the worst. While driving shifting will be sometimes good and sometimes spongy as it doesn't want to go into gear, double clutch and goes in. Clutch pedal goes in and out but spongy. Always seem to when shifting have to put clutch all the way to the floor.

Was planning on replacing: Master, Slave and the clutch line with a SS line.

Looking for the correct part number for all:

Found Master:

Centric Parts 136.47006 Clutch Master Cylinder

Slave unknown yet what to get.

SS Clutch line unknown correct part number:

Goodridge_Stainless_Steel_Clutch_Line_for_05_09_Legacy_GT -- 24216-CLU

or

Goodridge 24215-CLU-STI Clutch Line Kit

Driving myself crazy with all this. (On top of that I have a boost leak, should be around 15 but I'm at 11-12, OTS Stage 1 93, checking lines today)

Any auto parts store will have a slave cylinder. Is there any fluid leaking down the inside of the firewall at the clutch pedal ?

That's where most MC's leak...

I would think the line is fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Any auto parts store will have a slave cylinder. Is there any fluid leaking down the inside of the firewall at the clutch pedal ?

That's where most MC's leak...

I would think the line is fine.

No leaking inside. My clutch pedal rubber pad kept falling off so I took a sanding disc with the adhesive on the back. Cut it to fit and works great! But I don't recall any leaks inside while I was down there.

I believe it is coming from the slave or the line.

I am about to do the front passenger side wheel bearing and was also going to replace the axle shaft seal because I thought it was leaking. Why? There was fluid that I thought was coming from there, but it is not.

Last month I drained the tranny and refilled with Extra-S and noticed the 'leak' from the axle shaft.

This morning it hit me on the way to work. That the fluid I keep seeing isn't the Extra-S but more like brake fluid (more watery). Makes sense of the loss in 'clutch fluid'. Going to get a peak at the slave and line on top.

Thanks for you help. I shall return later with a update.

Likely its the slave cylinder seal. Any auto parts store will have one, make sure you bench bleed it first, iirc correctly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived