LegacyGT.com

Sputtering After Fill Up

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. Just bought a Blue Legacy Gt 5 speed a couple weeks ago. So far every time I've filled it up since I bought it, upon start up, it wants to stall out. i can keep it running by giving it a ton of gas but until i start to drive it, it still seems like it wants to stall. today i tested it by pulling over right after leaving the gas station and turning it off and right back on and it started completely normally. i took the gas cap off and put it back on and it still started normally. it shouldn't be a fuel issue as its a busy mobil station that ive never had trouble with and it only happens on the first start up. anyone else had this issue? im bringing it to a dealership on wed because the airbag light turned on today and i want to have them check this issue out too but i figured id run it by everyone here first. thanks for any help.

Welcome to the site and glad you could join us.

Has this vehicle ever been:

1) Modified?

2) Had the turbo or turbo Inlet Hose replaced/repaired?

3) Had an electronic boost solenoid installed/deinstalled?

4) Had the intake manifold removed?

If the answer to any of the above is yes, it is possible that someone wired up/hooked up the purge valve incorrectly

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Welcome to the site and glad you could join us.

Has this vehicle ever been:

1) Modified?

2) Had the turbo or turbo Inlet Hose replaced/repaired?

3) Had an electronic boost solenoid installed/deinstalled?

4) Had the intake manifold removed?

If the answer to any of the above is yes, it is possible that someone wired up/hooked up the purge valve incorrectly

1)not that i can tell

2)all i know is that carfax says the turbo was replaced/serviced 10k ago

3)unknown

4)unknown

unfortunately i dont know a lot about the car's past other than the timing belt having just been done. its just weird that it only does it on the first start up after a fill up. it got me thinking about maybe a blocked vent tube or purge/recirc valve or something that is only affected when the tank is full.

Given that the turbo was replaced, I'd check all of the connections to/from the purge valve.

Bookmark this fuel-intake-routing map - it'll be invaluable

Also, relative location on the intake manifold from the FSM. Items 4, 6, 25, and 26.

504190521_IntakeManifoldRouting.thumb.jpg.024e26ed26150c0d72f4803e17c909d3.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...

minor update to this. i took the car to the dealer for the airbag light and it was a bad module. they replaced the module and the light was magically gone. they had no idea about the stalling/sputtering issue. the best they could recommend is to go to good gas stations and not small volume generic branded ones, which i was already doing.

since ive had a little time since then, ive done a little testing on my own. apparently if i dont fill it up completely, but close to full, it doesn't do the sputtering/stalling thing. im sticking to the idea that some sort of vent tube or something is screwed up and its only affected when its filled completely. ive also learned that if i leave my laptop bag on the passenger seat on my ride home, its heavy enough to set off the seat belt alarm, which is annoying.

also, the dealership doesn't have the parts to do my airbag recall and didn't seem to have any sort of timeline as to when they would have them in. anyone else have or having this problem? id like to get it done sooner rather than later because i dont want to drive my family around in a car that could shoot metal fragments at them if the airbags were to go off.

• 1 month later...
another update. i think i figured out how to keep it from stalling. the last 2 times ive filled up, i let the pump stop itself and then as i pulled the nozzle out of the fill tube, i held the flapper open for about 10 seconds with the end of the nozzle before returning the nozzle to the pump. the car then starts right up and stays running. my guess is that there is something wrong with a vent tube or something but if this keeps working, i wont have to investigate it further.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of threads on here with this evap canister issue. It all starts off the same, "when I top off the tank, the car runs funny".

Good tip about holding the flap open.

I'll say after reading about issue on here over the past couple years, I don't top off the tank anymore. When the pump shut's off, I pull the nozzle out. I put gas in the wagon twice a week, during winter, 3 times a week.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived