LegacyGT.com

98 Legacy GT 2.5L misfire code problem

Hi guys. I hope you had a great holiday. I've been out of town so I have to apologize for my late response to your posts.

I hope to be able to get together with my niece soon. I really hope it's the TBT, as I have neither the time nor the workplace to do the valve adjustment. If that's what it takes to resolve the problem, then so be it. At least the problem will be solved.

Osei - Great suggestion about my adding SBT's fuel cocktail when I see her. At least then I'll know it's getting added. SBT, thanks for the formula. If it's just sticky lifters, that would be ideal. Yes, a bit of wishful thinking, but hey, it's that time of year!

Thanks for the diagnostics sheet. You've mentioned post rebuild adjustment, as did Jdubgt530. The noise valves make when out of adjustment haven't changed from the pre-computer days.

I'll check the alternator bearings. Brighton96, I'll grab the length of garden hose I've used with my Triumph and will put my ear to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've gained a lot of knowledge ("I'll take cars with computers for $200, Alex) here, but obviously have a very limited range with a very long way to go, so thanks again for the support, guys.

Speaking of knowledge gained, someone recently mentioned that his car went into "something called limp mode." He said it barely made it to his house because it had trouble going up the hills on the way. With my newfound knowledge, I was able to tell him that limp mode was invented by a sadist who lived in Kansas, who was possibly acrophobic. Yes, a proud moment indeed.

SBT, I'm glad your knee is doing better!

And everyone, I'll let you know what I find. The adventure continues...

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have a volt meter and a modern strong magnet you can test that crank sensor. You connect the meter to the wires. It will read 0 volts. Then you move the magnet past the tip of the sensor. You should see a spike of voltage as the magnet passes.

That will tell you if the sensor is completely dead. If the dent changes how the sensor fits related to the teeth on the timing sprocket then the pulses may be too weak for the computer to pick up.

How did it get dented?

Archived