LegacyGT.com

Crazy Data log. Any Help??

Hey everyone, I currently have no clue whats going on with my engine, but it makes an interesting noise if I'm trying to get on full boost. It happens around 3300-3500 I believe. It can happen in any gear, but I logged 1st and 2nd.

The car has three physical things different from stock:

Hybrid internals for the stock turbo

Grimmspeed boost controller

Invidia Catless DP

According to the previous owner, it has a tune, but I'm not sure about the quality of it.

The logs are attached.

Sorry about the mixup of the headings, my computer was having issues organizing them.

I don't know what its doing, but everything starts going haywire around line 116. From The knock correction, to target boost, to the wastegate. Also, the knock sum is truely weird to me. The reason it starts at 27, is because when I was idling, if i tapped the accelerator, it would count a knock.

A few other notes,

Line 89 A/F Correction goes from steadily increasing to 0.

Line 333 - Column S I get a Cyl #2 misfire.

From all the information I have, I am going to guess the engine is going to grenade soon. I think it's the tune, but I could be way off.

Help??

romraiderlog_20160727_113534.csv

here is a good post from phatbotti on how to gather good datalogs and what parameters to choose. The logs you posted do show some knock and issues, but would be helpful to see the data gathered in a better way.

(shameless steal from: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2263927)

PhatBotti Tuning - Tuning FAQ & Misc Info (click me)

HOW SHOULD I DRIVE DURING THE DATALOG?

The first 3-4 revisions will be for MAF scaling. No wide open throttle. You will be collecting data at idle and then collecting data all the way up to cruising at 75mph....small throttle changes and all under 4000rpm.

The next couple revisions will be partial WOT pulls from 2000-5500rpm in 2nd gear to get the wgdc and boost set.

The rest of the revisions will be 3rd/4th gear pulls from 2000-redline.

PARAMETER ABREVIATIONS

IAT = intake air temp

FBKC = feedback knock correction

FLKC = fine learning knock correction

IAM = ignition advance multiplier

DAM = dynamics advance multiplier

MAF = mass air flow

MRP = manifold relative pressure (boost)

IGN = igntion total timing

IDC = injector duty cycle

WGDC = wastegate duty cycle

WOT = wide open throttle

WHAT SHOULD I DATALOG?

Romraider Datalog List for WOT

Parameters to Log – remember some of these may not be visible until hooked up to the vehicle

• Engine load (g/rev)

• Engine Speed (RPM )

• FeedBack Knock Correction (fbkc)

• Fine Learning Knock Correction (flkc)

• Ignition total timing

• Injector Duty Cycle (IDC)

• Intake Air Temperature (IAT)(Fahrenheit)

• Manifold Relative Pressure (MRP) (4 byte)(or direct if 4byte not there)(psi)

• Mass Air Flow Voltage (MAFv)

• Primary Wastegate Duty Cycle (WGDC)

• TARGET Boost (MRP)(psi)

• Throttle Position

• Wideband (LC-1/Uego)

• Requested Torque

AccessPort MAF Scale Logging

Load up the map and Datalog the following parameters for ~20 minutes.

A/F Correction #1 (%)

A/F Learning #1 (%)

Calculated Load

Closed Loop / Open Loop Switch

Engine RPM

Feedback Knock

Fine Learning Knock

Intake Temperature

Mass Airflow Sensor Voltage (V)

AccessPort WOT Logging

make sure under options, display, the "show standard units" box is checked

Boost Target

Calculated Load

Engine Speed (RPM)

Feedback Knock Correction (FBKC)

Fine Knock Learning (FLKC)

Ignition Timing

Inj. Duty Cycle (IDC)

Intake Temp (IAT)

Manifold Rel. Pressure (boost)

Mass Airflow Voltage (MAFv)

Throttle Position

Wastegate Duty (WGDC)

AFR (Lc-1/Uego)

I would bet tuning alliance might jump in here and offer some expert advice, but I would guess based on what you posted your tune is far from ideal.

make sure all physical components of your car are in good mechanical condition and you do not have any leaks or issues. you could do a new set of plugs if you haven't done those in a while (NGK2309 plugs for EJ257 motors, .028 gap), never hurts to make sure those are in good shape. also gives you chance to see what your current plugs look like.

Hey bud, if your seeing a noise during boost, I'd first do a proper boost leak test on it. I've attached our how to for low pressure boost leak test, and our logging guide.

Let us know how the test goes, and we can go from there. No reason to log if you have a leak.

-Brian

Subaru Low Pressure Boost Leak Testing.pdf

Subaru Logging Guide.pdf

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

here is a good post from phatbotti on how to gather good datalogs and what parameters to choose. The logs you posted do show some knock and issues, but would be helpful to see the data gathered in a better way.

(shameless steal from: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2263927)

I would bet tuning alliance might jump in here and offer some expert advice, but I would guess based on what you posted your tune is far from ideal.

make sure all physical components of your car are in good mechanical condition and you do not have any leaks or issues. you could do a new set of plugs if you haven't done those in a while (NGK2309 plugs for EJ257 motors, .028 gap), never hurts to make sure those are in good shape. also gives you chance to see what your current plugs look like.

Thanks for the reply! And yes I have used those parameters before, and thats what I was going for, but my (wifes) computer had issues with logging and I was just trying to get something to post/trying to look at everything I could.

I will take another set of logs tomorrow that are actually organized and post those.

The first thing I thought was that the tune was off in some way, because it wasn't a well known tuner, and the kid I bought the car from was more of a "hey this car looks good and has a stage 2 tune". So I'm fairly well open to changing the tune, I just need guidance as to what is messed up.

Hey bud, if your seeing a noise during boost, I'd first do a proper boost leak test on it. I've attached our how to for low pressure boost leak test, and our logging guide.

Let us know how the test goes, and we can go from there. No reason to log if you have a leak.

-Brian

I will do the test tomorrow, I'll be back to my house then.

I should've clarified/I'll take a video to see if I can capture the noise that way, but I can build low boost (0-7psi) just fine. The noise only happens when I am on the medium - hard end of acceleration and over 3500rpm. It sounds like heat shield rattling (I've checked that), but it effects performance...

Thanks for the reply! And yes I have used those parameters before, and thats what I was going for, but my (wifes) computer had issues with logging and I was just trying to get something to post/trying to look at everything I could.

I will take another set of logs tomorrow that are actually organized and post those.

The first thing I thought was that the tune was off in some way, because it wasn't a well known tuner, and the kid I bought the car from was more of a "hey this car looks good and has a stage 2 tune". So I'm fairly well open to changing the tune, I just need guidance as to what is messed up.

I will do the test tomorrow, I'll be back to my house then.

I should've clarified/I'll take a video to see if I can capture the noise that way, but I can build low boost (0-7psi) just fine. The noise only happens when I am on the medium - hard end of acceleration and over 3500rpm. It sounds like heat shield rattling (I've checked that), but it effects performance...

We'll help ya out and get you on the right path. Videos help with "strange noises" :spin:

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Didn't read all posts, but could the rattling actually be knocking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it isn't, because it only happens in a certain range of rpm. Rod knock would be consistent and be very loud at idle. I'm leaning towards boost leak at this point. Among other things that are screwed up in my tune.

Hey guys, sorry for not posting anything. I had a friend of mine lose his life in a car crash.

Brian, I need some help testing boost leak, I followed your PDF but I have a boost controller so how do I go about testing with that?

Sorry to hear,

Why does the boost controller matter? Just plug the intake, take the bpv return hose and blow in to pressurize.

-B

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No it isn't, because it only happens in a certain range of rpm. Rod knock would be consistent and be very loud at idle. I'm leaning towards boost leak at this point. Among other things that are screwed up in my tune.

Hi sorry I meant a lean fuel condition, pre detonating causing a knocking noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived