LegacyGT.com

I need help!! Obviously, im new! :/ lol

Nateg

Hey guys.. So I have a 2001 legacy gt, and my idiot brother blew my drive belt.. Now it won't start, and when it kinda does.. It sounds like my engine is blown and all i smell is gas.. Wtf!?! I absolutely loooveee this car and the last thing I want is to have to scrap it, because I don't know a thing about engines.. Had 384000km on it.. Seems low for a subaru.. I just want to know if a swap is doable? And what would you suggest.. Thanks!

Do you mean the serpentine belt? This controls accessories like the Steering pump and Alternator.

Or do you mean the timing belt? If it's the timing belt then I would say you didn't adjust the timing on the car which would cause symptoms like you were describing.

for the timing belt you would have to use a timing light to be able to adjust the timing properly.

You'll need to be more specific which belt broke.

If the serpentine belt broke, it should be a pretty easy fix.

If the timing belt broke, it will be a much bigger fix and it may require a rebuild or replacement.

It's possible the timing belt skipped some teeth, causing it to run really rough. If it completely broke it wouldn't run at all.

I wouldn't recommend trying to start it again until you have some better information.

Good luck!

If the timing belt broke or seriously "jumped" while the engine was being run hard, then the engine is toast\borked. If it it just stopped because the timing belt broke, the engine is mostly toast. But, if you then tried to start it with a broken, or seriously "jumped" timing belt, the engine is seriously toasted.

It's an interference engine which means that if the cams aren't turning, then pistons are hitting valves which equals borked pistons and bent valves and scrambled heads.

Repair: Find another engine to replace it with.

If it's just the accessory belts that drive the A/C, alternator and power steering.

Repair: Replace the belts. Might be a bad idler pulley that needs replaced, but, usually that's easily fixed, typically with no harm, no foul.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived