LegacyGT.com

1996 Legacy Wagon problems. Fixable?

SuberYou97

Hi everyone! I've got my heart on getting a Subaru for my first car, and I really like this legacy wagon. Its a single mom selling it and shes only asking $1200! She's really sweet and I like the car but it has issues. Here's a picture of the engine codes. Looks like some misfires going on for some reason and the transmission has issues. Looks like its low on ATF so it might just need a flush and fill. How much/how hard would it be to fix these things? Engine was rebuilt 15k she says, and it seems to run fine, asside from a misfire when I shift into reverse. Thanks everyone! Just let me know if you need more info! :spin:

PO, 500, 740 Speed sensor and TCC CKT electrical, 301, 303, 302, 304 (301-4 are misfire alerts in all four cylinders) , 400 and 743 EGR flow and TCC CKT electrical. Also it failed air injection? Smog was good. Also ABS light is on :/

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Skelitor117/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbhuxnb3t.jpeg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p547/Skelitor117/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbhuxnb3t.jpeg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

No way it passed smog with misfire codes, or any codes for that matter...this is a matter of how much can you do yourself and how much do you want to spend. With those kinds of issues just based on your post, the car isn't worth 1200. 7 to 800 if it was in great condition. Worst case you have to put an engine and transmission in it. Salvage yard parts would probably run you about 1k with warranties if you install yourself. So if that still sounds good go for it.

It's an old car so be realistic and under pay where ever possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a neglected car that needs new plugs maybe a coil or both to be safe, the EGR valve is probably gummed up with deposits and needs to be cleaned.

The P0500 pertains to the central speed sensor that comes off the trans and send a signal to the ECU. Could be a speed sensor for a specific wheel, it would say P0501/2/3/4 but even without that specific code it could still be a bad wheel hub assemble.

I would talk the owner down and maybe bite but inspect whats been repaired to ensure youre not buying a grenade. :)

• 1 year later...
Details.. Recently bought it, removed old fuel with new, new battery, started right up and ran great. Replaced brakes, Added seafoam, ran real quiet and smooth. Took to detail shop, when I picked it up, had to overuse the shifter lock. Drove home and notice a shake throughout the car that worsened ad I drove. Experience diminished power. Turned at off and now it won't start. Not sure if detail shop had anything to do with it because they didn't clean the engine. What can I do?

Archived