LegacyGT.com

About to install new 16G Turbo from BNR in my '08 OXT - advice needed!

I'm about to tackle my 2nd turbo install, this time I'm going with the 16G from BNR Supercars. I've spoken with Brian directly about what items he recommends that I replace/upgrade to get the most out of this little turbo. He's a great guy, and I can't thank him enough for sharing his thoughts on what additional mods I should consider doing to get his turbo to shine.

First off, this is my wife's car, and while I do want it to be a hoot to drive, I'm not trying to get anywhere near 400whp... low 300's will be more than enough. (Anything more than that, and I'd have to take the car away from her, because she would never properly utilize its capabilities!)

I've apparently got an oil supply problem on this car, because the 1st turbo replacement blew the very next day, AFTER I'd made a point to remove the dreaded banjo bolt filter. So I'm determined to make absolutely damn sure that there will be NO possibility for "oil starvation" with this next one. I'm going to replace the oil pump, both AVCS solenoids, and run a dedicated oil supply line to the new turbo. Hopefully these steps will avert a repeat disaster.

I'm going to be off work the first week in August, and am writing to ask recommendations from those who've gone before me, and ask what specific additional mods, and specifically which parts and vendors are the most reliable & trusted, in order to get the most out of a new turbo. And I really need to get things ordered fairly soon so I'll have everything ready to go by Aug. 1st.

But there's one looming question I have before diving off into the add'l mods discussion: my '08 OXT has the 5-speed Automatic transmission. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO PROTECT IT FROM THE SUBSTANTIAL INCREASE IN TORQUE after installing the turbo, along with other mods like a new catless downpipe, intercooler, fuel pump & injectors, etc? The last thing I wanna do is fix one thing only to destroy another. Bryan said that I really should do a valve body upgrade if I plan to get anything more than 16psi from this turbo. I've seen posts about the Hex-mod here on the forum, but unfortunately they apparently aren't yet available for the '08+ model transmissions... (*sigh*)

So what can be done??

So there you have it... please cuss & discuss - I'm all ears! (or, um, "eyes"...)

FWIW, along with the oil pump you might want a new oil cooler too.

You really need to make sure there is no metal in the oil system.

Someone else with automatic's can answer the other questions.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

yes, thanks... I can assure you that I intend to very carefully inspect for any metallic debris.

I came across a company on the internet called "LevelTen.com" - and they apparently will re-build your valve body according to what you need, in terms of increased performance, for $600.... that might be my only option.

With the '08+ cars there isn't a valve body mod. A few companies say they offer them, but they are hack jobs that don't really do anything.

That said, there IS an option through turning to help it out. The TCU sets the line pressure and shift speed off both the requested and calculated torque sent to it via CAN bus. Bump these up in the ECU and the TCU responds accordingly. there is a lot of talk about this in here, starting around page 60 or over at RomRaider

You can only do this opensource and there are only a few tuners that really mess with it. You can try Throttlehappy, west_minist, and fahr_side or do it yourself.

Other mod wise... Mainly you just need a fuel pump if you're happy at 280-300WHP. Stock injectors work on 16G if it's not a super aggressive tune. Downpipe is pretty much a must have. TMIC would help as the stock one tends to come apart or may have junk front your blown turbo in it, but isn't 100% required. Might want to do a transmission cooler as well to help it out with longevity.

I'm about to tackle my 2nd turbo install, this time I'm going with the 16G from BNR Supercars. I've spoken with Brian directly about what items he recommends that I replace/upgrade to get the most out of this little turbo. He's a great guy, and I can't thank him enough for sharing his thoughts on what additional mods I should consider doing to get his turbo to shine.

First off, this is my wife's car, and while I do want it to be a hoot to drive, I'm not trying to get anywhere near 400whp... low 300's will be more than enough. (Anything more than that, and I'd have to take the car away from her, because she would never properly utilize its capabilities!)

I've apparently got an oil supply problem on this car, because the 1st turbo replacement blew the very next day, AFTER I'd made a point to remove the dreaded banjo bolt filter. So I'm determined to make absolutely damn sure that there will be NO possibility for "oil starvation" with this next one. I'm going to replace the oil pump, both AVCS solenoids, and run a dedicated oil supply line to the new turbo. Hopefully these steps will avert a repeat disaster.

I'm going to be off work the first week in August, and am writing to ask recommendations from those who've gone before me, and ask what specific additional mods, and specifically which parts and vendors are the most reliable & trusted, in order to get the most out of a new turbo. And I really need to get things ordered fairly soon so I'll have everything ready to go by Aug. 1st.

But there's one looming question I have before diving off into the add'l mods discussion: my '08 OXT has the 5-speed Automatic transmission. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO PROTECT IT FROM THE SUBSTANTIAL INCREASE IN TORQUE after installing the turbo, along with other mods like a new catless downpipe, intercooler, fuel pump & injectors, etc? The last thing I wanna do is fix one thing only to destroy another. Bryan said that I really should do a valve body upgrade if I plan to get anything more than 16psi from this turbo. I've seen posts about the Hex-mod here on the forum, but unfortunately they apparently aren't yet available for the '08+ model transmissions... (*sigh*)

So what can be done??

So there you have it... please cuss & discuss - I'm all ears! (or, um, "eyes"...)

Lucky wife :)

Ok I would just upgrade the pump and increase the size of the injectors. ID725 or 650cc FIC. But if ID, those are topfeed.

Next install a nice tranny cooler and a tuned that will optimised everything, including the 5EAT.

Dw65c

650-850 inj depending on how much boost and climate

I have dw 850's and in tje summer they run at 80% in the winter more like 90%

Run the max req tq that the ecu can recognize and readjust the pedal to scale out that far so they match both are under Drive by Wire settings of tune this is about half as good as a valve body mod. I have run my obxt like this for 30k miles with a 16g at 22.5psi and it never slips

Remove the egt and cat in up pipe. If running close to 18 or more psi bulletproof or replace tje intercooler. They pop at 18 w a smaller turbo

Archived