LegacyGT.com

So.... I went back and read all the reviews of the '10 and '13 Legacy reviews and...

I found most of them to be crap.

To me it looks like they just wanted to trash talk the Legacy compared to other cars. And now that we have a chance to look back at it, it would appear that they were misguided.

I read things like "the engine is not refined." Really? I drive my Legacy on the highway all the time and for a 4cyl car it is very quiet and easy on the ears (I will admit that I am near 50 and my hearing isn't what it used to be). Compared to my friends '16 Accord, the Legacy is just as quiet if not more so.

Seats are very comfortable but I do not know how they will hold up for really long distance driving. IMHO the seats to beat are the Acura CLS ones...

MPG: This thing beats every other car I have owned or have as a loaner for 2 weeks or more in terms of average fuel economy running the same route.

1994 accord averaged 28 (owned)

1998 accord V6 averaged 26 (owned)

2002 CL type S averaged 25.5 (own)

2003 Subaru Legacy L special edition averaged 25 (own)

2015 Forrester averaged 29.8 (1 month loaner)

2015 Outback 3.6R averaged 26 (2 week loaner)

2014 Legacy is averaging 30.5 (own)

CVT:

This thing is amazing overall... the car seems much more responsive overall and it does a really good job at returning great fuel economy.

It's kind of disappointing that Subaru did not really get the credit it deserves until recently.

Myself I am very happy with my purchase and have no regrets.

Interior: Ehh, who cares as it does the job and everything is easy to reach.

Take reviews with a grain of salt, most of them are poorly done and in the end all that matters is that we love driving our cars. I have found my seats to be very comfortable for drives about 12 hours long, I can't comment on anything longer than that.

The h4 engines do make a lot of noise compared to I4 engines with hydraulic lifters and lots of engine bay insulation.

the last time I drove anything with hydraulic lifters in a 4 cyl was 1989.... and that thing was way noisier than my current cars

The first time I drove my Subaru, I noticed the different engine sound. It seemed a little noisier than I would have expected. After a week of ownership I no longer notice it. The boxer engine sound gives it character. Sometime passengers will comment on the engine sound, I often forget about it.

If you want an awd sedan you don't have many choices.

For a while I was traveling a lot for work so I rented a lot of cars. I tried to pick different cars for variety. (My work was pretty liberal on the rental policy) I have driven most of the cars in the rental compact, midsize, full size and premium class. I used to think the my car has too much plastic in the interior but this is pretty typical in the class for the class of cars (the 2015 Legacy is greatly improve in this department). I really like the outward visibility of the Legacy, it is better than any other car that I rented. The seats are comfortable enough. I like the overall layout of the driver controls. The 2010-2012 Legacy suspension are often criticized, many of the 4 cylinder cars in midsize car class have soft boat like disconnected suspension that make the Legacy feel like one of the better handling cars in its class. The fuel economy hit with Subaru awd is minimal. The car itself is a little bit slower compare to its fwd competitors but it adequate enough and I atleast have a 6MT to keep me engaged with the car.

I don't mind the CVT, however I do have one complaint on our CVT (or just mine). It takes forever to move forward after backing up then shift to DRIVE. It feels like a full second or longer before it gets response.

the last time I drove anything with hydraulic lifters in a 4 cyl was 1989.... and that thing was way noisier than my current cars

Sunfire/Cavalier had lifters as well as any other GM produced 4 banger, along with some Fords and Chrysler products most of them in production into the 2000s. Not many manufacturers use just straight tappets because of the noise they produce, subaru is one of the few putting longevity and simplicity over form.

I had a new Impreza as a rental while the dealer fixed what they messed up when doing my air bag and I was not impressed. The engine was much quieter than what I'm used to hearing from a Subaru but like you stated, the interior was lacking big time. The radio was cool but everything else seemed real cheap. Of course it rode okay because it had 14 miles on the odometer but it felt cheap. I'd have to agree with the refined part but overall for the entire car...although I was driving the Impreza.

Archived